Help Protect the Giant Pacific Octopus - Sign the petition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand why a diver thinks the protection of this animal somehow infringes on their rights. I guess our rights will all be satisfied by empty oceans and forests.

To be honest here… I would like to see the GPO protected as I would like to experience such a fine creature in its full glory as I am in awe of the Octopus’s intelligence…

BUT; as much as I agree with the spirit of this petition, I find it difficult as an outsider to push my feelings on those of Washington State when the locals have a much better understanding of what is needed and have the means locally to get the community involved…

I don’t hunt much in the water but I do some (none on land) but I believe I am very selective. I would truly be against those from Washington State pushing an agenda to band spearfishing Hog Snapper here off the coast of NC…!

Whereas Shark finning and Whaling are a Global problem, I believe this subject “GPO”; at least for the moment belongs to the locals…

No disrespect intended what so ever to the GPO as I trust my day to view these wonderful creatures is coming sooner rather than later!!!

lee

Just as an update ... the effort to afford some protection for the Giant Pacific Octopus is making its way through the appropriate channels with the Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. An advisory panel will soon be looking into all the options, the available data on who currently fishes for them, how much, and why ... and examining the pros and cons of several potential courses of action. This is an appropriate response to laws that were written in a time when there were far fewer people here, when most divers were more into hunting than looking or taking pictures, and when Puget Sound was far less developed than it is today.

What we hope to have come out of this is a resource management policy that more appropriately reflects the Puget Sound of today, rather than of 50 years ago ... when the existing laws were initially implemented.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added February 10th, 2013 at 04:53 PM ----------

I believe this subject “GPO”; at least for the moment belongs to the locals.

I agree that it's our problem to solve ... but the fact is these are a unique species, due perhaps to their size, that has found interest in some pretty unlikely places.

A couple weeks after the capture that started this story, I was in Zambia ... a sub-sahara African nation that doesn't even have a coastline. I'm at dinner with a bunch of folks from the CDC and Peace Corps, when someone across the table asks me "Aren't you that octopus guy?"

I was floored ... how in the world did he even know? This is, literally, on the other side of the planet! Turns out the Daily Mail ... the most popular newspaper in Zambia ... had run the same story many of you saw about a week before I got there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As has been explained, I don't think this is any kind of "Backdoor conspiracy" as stated by some of our more doubting members. It is simply to protect these coves and possibly, in the future, other similar dive sites. That will still leave 99.9% of the rest of the Cali coastline to hunt to your hearts content.

It is important to have protected sites where divers from all over the world to come and have some good possibility of seeing a GPO. Where the HECK is the harm in that? As a former ardent spearo, I can see how important this is.

After reading the entire thread, I feel as though this was a reflex reaction to Bob's GPO at Cove 2 incident. I have also believe people are trying to fix something that's not broken. One kid legally harvests a GPO and now we need a law.

Interesting read... Thanks mselenaous

Hypocrisy makes me giggle.

Back
Top Bottom