Lembeh / Black Sands ... should i bother bringing Wide Angle lens/port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Subject says it all. Going to Black Sands at Lembeh for Songkran. I'm really into macro photography lately (maybe one of these days i'll take a half decent picture). I would love to keep my travel pack as small as possible and wondering if I would regret not bringing my dome port and wide angle lens. Its not huge as I have a M43 setup, but every bit helps. I'm sure that there will be moments I wish I had wide angle, but are there nay dives that I would deliberately enter setup for wide? Or would I end up just bringing macro for every dive. Should have about 5.5 days of diving

I am off in 4 weeks and am only taking macro setup. And I am there for 2 weeks. I have shear fear that if I take wide angle that I will see a macro creature I am desperate to photograph. I'm sure there are some wide angle opportunities, possibly at the wrecks or northern sites, but its mainly all about the macro. Bangka may offer better wide angle opportunities?

there are more macro stuff at lembeh...

however, when you get tired of it.. i am sure u can get the guide to bring u to a place for some good wide shots.

close focus wide angle opportunities in Lembeh are fantastic! I am heading there next week and plan on shooting a lot of wider angle for subjects such as octopus, lionfish, frogfish, stonefish etc Everyone shoots macro in Lembeh without looking at the wider picture.. do something a little different and I think you will be glad you did!

here are some examples for you, 2 of them are from the house reef at Black Sand:
252175_10150336643215211_42693_n.jpg
250265_10150336643040211_137076_n.jpg

283880_10150336643005211_7340578_n.jpg

Reactions: jbb
Never tried CFWA. I have a 9-18 and 4" for my OMD/Nauticam, I think that will work. BTW, I tried to sneak into your NAD photo clinic last minute w Marcia, but you are booked!

close focus wide angle opportunities in Lembeh are fantastic! I am heading there next week and plan on shooting a lot of wider angle for subjects such as octopus, lionfish, frogfish, stonefish etc Everyone shoots macro in Lembeh without looking at the wider picture.. do something a little different and I think you will be glad you did!

here are some examples for you, 2 of them are from the house reef at Black Sand:
View attachment 151385
View attachment 151386

View attachment 151387

Been in Lembeh many times. Never found need for WA, and just leave it home. Water clarity usually requires camera to be very close to subject, like 2 ft or less. Would work though if you want to do some close-up WA, say for wonderpus and such.

Bunaken, though, has much better water clarity, and some very big turtles, not nearly so good for macro.

Up to you to decide if it is worth the extra weight. I carry so much stuff that I have to be very selective. Oh, for a non-diving girlfriend with an empty suitcase.

i am planning to spend 10 days at blacksand later this year, would be nice to hear the first hand info from you guys..

Is there any sightings of rhinopias in lembeh....?

i am planning to spend 10 days at blacksand later this year, would be nice to hear the first hand info from you guys..

Is there any sightings of rhinopias in lembeh....?

Was at Black Sands last year for a week. Excellent place to stay. Food is excellent, accomodation the same. Small fast boats to dive from and you are right in the middle of most of the sites in Lembeh. Did not see any rhinopias when I was there - guides said none to be found at that particular time. Also only saw one pair of ornate ghost pipefish - seems this was also not the right time of year.

What time of the year was that? I'll be there mid-april

Was at Black Sands last year for a week. Excellent place to stay. Food is excellent, accomodation the same. Small fast boats to dive from and you are right in the middle of most of the sites in Lembeh. Did not see any rhinopias when I was there - guides said none to be found at that particular time. Also only saw one pair of ornate ghost pipefish - seems this was also not the right time of year.

Back
Top Bottom