BC Failure Survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently learned an important lesson about checking over new equipment before using it.
I bought a 27lb Halcyon wing for tropical dives and while ascending on one the dives the dump valve fell off.
I did'nt even notice until we were back on the boat and one of the divers had caught it as it sunk. she asked if anyone owned it.... I certainly felt smug that it wasn't mine since I had a brand new Halcyon!!!
Low and behold, it was mine - oh the shame.

Since my instructor had me try reeling myself up on my lift bag (simulating a wing failure), I've been thinking about what would I do if this happened.
Taking the time to shoot a lift bag and then reel myself up does'nt seem practical if I'm sinking into the abyss.
I hope my drysuit would give enough buoyancy to slow me down so I could swim up.
I seriously hope that my buddy would notice my dilema and come to my rescue - if not... take a deep breath, ditch my gear and swim for it???

I've never had a catastrophic failure, only thing that has ever gone wrong is I have a leaky inflator hose connection. If you don't adjust it just right it trickles a little air. (Note to self: get that fixed!)

barb:
Since my instructor had me try reeling myself up on my lift bag (simulating a wing failure), I've been thinking about what would I do if this happened.
Huh????
Shoot the bag then reel yourself up?

I guess that's one way of doing it, but I wouldn't be too crazy about shooting my only source of buoyancy to the surface and trust a piece of #24 to get me back to it.
I'd hold the bag, add enough to get neutral, and dump it as I went up, same as a BC.

RichLockyer:
Huh????
Shoot the bag then reel yourself up?

I guess that's one way of doing it, but I wouldn't be too crazy about shooting my only source of buoyancy to the surface and trust a piece of #24 to get me back to it.
I'd hold the bag, add enough to get neutral, and dump it as I went up, same as a BC.

I think the point of the exercise was to give us the experience of how difficult it would be to swim up without the buoyancy of the wing.
I like your method but you definitely would'nt want to let go of that bag!

barb:
I think the point of the exercise was to give us the experience of how difficult it would be to swim up without the buoyancy of the wing.
If it is THAT difficult then the diver is overweighted.
Theoretically, the wing should only be offsetting the weight of the gas in the tanks, which for doubles shouldn't be more than 16 pounds or so, and preferably less, assuming that doubles are being used to go deep, as te diver should be running a helium mix, which is much lighter.

The drysuit should be sufficient to offset the loss of the wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom