How many here Post on Facebook about Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//...So, who posts on Facebook, why do you post on Facebook, and what would you say there that you would not be likely to post on SB?

...//... ...people say what they would in front of their real friends. This is a real problem on SB, where fake names create all manners of unrealistic posting... So the real question could be....did we miss something?

Virtually all of my local diving activity is organized on FB. ...//...

...//... My point is that people (typically) join FB as themselves and also share about other aspects of their lives. It feels more personal, more intimate. ...//...

I see SB as global and a very "general" way to interact with the dive crowd, while FB is much more personal and far less focussed on any given topic.

My gripe with SB is that it tries to do both. I should be able to filter out posts from the local groups in "Today's Posts" that don't want my input. What is really needed is "Today's posts from the following user-selected groups".

-off my soapbox...

I was wondering about that. I have four Facebook Friends who have died. How does that work?

I hardly get emails anymore because most friends and family who I'm close to are on Facebook. I don't post much except spearfishing lies and pictures of dead fish....some family stuff. It's been a great way to stay in contact with the people I met and worked with around the world over the last 35 years.
To get the account of someone who has passed closed you probably need to send them the death certificate..
I have a few friends who has wanted to get their accounts deleted, but they cant. The best they can do is set all the settings to as private as possible and get it closed. The profile will still be there and FB will still have, and according to their TOS OWN everything you ever put up there..

For that matter, every dumb thing any of us have ever said on SB is going to be hanging around and searchable for a very long time to come....thank god no one has found a good way to aggregate all the dumb posts I've made through the years ! :)

My scuba discussions are in person or on scuba board. I would say, if it's a scuba related business, scubaboard is a much better choice than facebook. That said, facebook might (and I stress might) get you exposure to people who aren't already looking for scuba but might be interested if they see the right ad.

It certainly happens, but is far less common on FB than here on SB where many of us use names like Hockeynut and Divin'Hoosier. In the local forum I'm referring to (Great Lakes Wrecking Crew), most of us know each other from various Meet & Greets. When a person requests to join the group on FB who the mods don't know, the admins of the group reach out to those of us who have been around a few years to see if we know them. This allows us to keep spammers at bay. When an interloper does present themselves, and it has occurred, they are summarily removed.

My point is that people (typically) join FB as themselves and also share about other aspects of their lives. It feels more personal, more intimate. Your mileage may of course vary, but it is a key reason IMO that much of the GLWC forum traffic has moved to FB. That and the fact that we as a community can control the group membership.

I guess that's true.

Several evil acts on facebook had come to mind when I had read what you had originally wrote.

I spent a good amount of time teaching my kids to NOT believe anything on the net automatically.

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2013 at 02:44 PM ----------

For that matter, every dumb thing any of us have ever said on SB is going to be hanging around and searchable for a very long time to come....thank god no one has found a good way to aggregate all the dumb posts I've made through the years ! :)

I'll get to work on that.

. :rofl3:

I post about diving. I don't get to dive as much as many here and as such I also have "liked" or requested to join several diving pages on FB. Not to interact but to learn and read.

I'd say tho that most of my diving posts on FB tend to be interesting (to me) youtube videos and different blurbs about Great Lakes wrecks as that's the most interesting thing to me - re diving.

Most of my friends on Facebook are divers and the rest I'm not subscribed to their news feed. :-/

As a newbie I have never posted diving related posts on FB, but I have become very interested in the activity through a friend who does. He has a great sense of humour and is very knowledgeable. FB provides an informal way of connecting and informing. However, for advertisement purposes I would agree with others that they can be annoying. Ads need to be subtle, fun and gripping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom