Do you dive with a knife? How about a big knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 3 inch knife. My biggest criteria for a dive knife is that it be in easy reach if and when I need it which I hope I never do.

Carry Japanese swords for all I care. Just stay on your side of the country.

Well, Jim, I have to be honest and say that underwater junk yards hold very little attraction for me.
I can also say that the wannabe with the big knife I saw on the boat the other day wasn't a wreck diver--he was doing his AOW deep and nav dives that day. It could be that he'll eventually do super-dangerous wreck penetration and have a good excuse for carrying his Rambo-worthy knife, but as with most guys who carry huge knives even when they're not doing wreck-penetration dives, for now it's all for show.

Fair enough.....

Jim...

Ummm ...

If I get a big-ass knife, can I paint my face black? :wink:

I'm pretty new to this, and I've just been doing a bit of shore diving on reefs and trying to keep my bouyancy sorted to avoid touching anything. It's pretty hard to get entangled in rocks and coral, but I still got told I might die because I don't carry a blade. Mostly this comes from people who only use their knives to cut sea urchins off rocks and feed the grouper.

I used to, but now I overcompensate for my shortcomings with a DIR-inspired setup. :wink:

I think though, I might not sell my UK 5in Titanium anymore. It did have it's uses and that blog reminded of it.

I fit the hardware for the mission profile! I have four knives, always carry one, sometimes two and love the big bloke! on my leg and use it as a tool often!!...but I started the game in 1960..so have not caught up with shears yet!!..still learning hey!!...may have to get a pair...I never worry about looking like a "dork" cause I see too many others looking like that, wearing their computers shopping!!:dork2:

I always carry a knife while diving, but rarely do I bother with a big knife. My usual knife is a Wenoka with a 5" blade. Medium size.

Shears and a folding knife. Works for everything except the UW zombies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom