Do you dive with a knife? How about a big knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first began diving in the early 80's, every guy in my OW class bought their basic gear, mask, snorkel, fins, boots, BFK. You know, the normal manly basic gear. Got out of diving in the late 80's, came back last year with a few friends who got certified the year before, 100 dives each when I started back up with them. First time I dove with them, gearing up, there they go with the basic gear suit-up, strapping their BFK's to their calves. So guys are still buying the basic gear, which still includes BFK's. I asked if they had EVER used them. Nope. Ever think of carrying shears instead? Have those too, but we only bring the knives. Whatever. I just have a small crappy stainless, half rusty BC knife attached to my inflator hose. I should grab those extra shears my buddies have lying around when they are not looking.

In the 80's I used to carry an abalone iron instead of a knife. Very good for holding off of things, prying, poking, smashing, just not cutting. I should have sharpened one edge. Wish I still had that thing.

I don't leave my house without a knife in my pocket. I can't see going under water without one either.

Just like I'd never judge a person based upon their looks but on their actions - I don't judge divers on their knives (or lack thereof)

I use EMT shears AND this absolutely ridiculously large pig sticker that I strap to my leg. I would prefer a smaller knife but my son, who was 5 years old at the time, picked out King Arthur's sword Excalibur with my wife two years ago for my birthday. I strap it to my leg with a smile...:D

I have been wearing the same BFK for over three decades so I doubt that this discussion will change my habit. Over the years shears and a line cutter are permanent additions, and other tools are added on a dive as necessary.

Bob
----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I always have an EZ-Cut on my right shoulder, EMS sheers on my right and a Wenoka Squeeze lock at my waist. When I'm shooting Lionfish, I also have a BFK on my calf so I can stab them in their little brains without getting too close to their spines.

Hello everyone :) I'm new to diving, went on my first DSD in Egypt only six days ago, but i promise you I'll get wet again Open Water license within couple of months :)

As to knives, I'm a tool-guy, and own a couple... I would never leave home without one. Because of my profession I always have a cardboard cutter in my pocket and a leatherman in my bag. I use both almost every day.
I will have to join the guys saying "Rather have one, and newer use it..." But a BFK has little value for me when I go diving, I've been looking at knives in the 4-5 inch range, and found some with one serrated, and one straight edge, line cutter blunt point and endcap in titanium. When reading this tread, I'm thinking I should get myself a pair of EMT's as well. I didn't think any diver entered the water without a knife, but from what I read here, I think mine will be placed discretely on my BCD. But I will never jump in without it.

Condition dictate equipment for me, including knife selection. I have a 3 inch blade knife secured in a scabbard mounted on my bc. It has a squared off tip. I carry this on every dive. Diving in kelp or in other areas where entanglement is a real risk, or when on a salvage dive, i will also carry a 5 inch blade knife in a scabbard secured on the inside of my left calf (I'm right handed.) I have to admit that I feel a little silly sometimes with the "big knife," But when conditions present, it is not an optional accessory, it is part of safety equipment.
DivemasterDennis

I dove from 1977 - 1989 with a 7" Dacor, a great knife with a neoprene rubber grip, until it was stolen while returning from a trip to the Dom Rep. Bought my first Wenoka Blackie Collins Z-lock Model 8543 with the insurance money. Been a Wenoka Model 85XX fan ever since. I've got about five or six different models within that range, everything from stilleto (great for spearfishing) to blunt tip (great for prying and commercial work). Blades are from 5 1/2 to 7 inches, and all are great BFKs. BTW is there any place besides the inside of your left calf (for righties) to carry a knife? What is this "BC" of which so many speak?

Last edited:
I lost that first knife dive shore diving in Connecticut (who does that?). When I was in the LDS in NY someone said it was probably in somebody's chest (for a split second I though he meant ice chest, then recalled where I was).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom