Wetsuit tight around neck, otherwise fits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KristicallaT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Last week I attended my first scuba class (for Basic Open Water Certification). Although we were in a pool at the local YMCA I became extremely cold (shivering, lips blue, etc). I'm a 5'8" 115 pound female with very low BMI. Anyway, I MUST have a wetsuit for my next class which is later this week. I went to the local dive store that coordinates the class and had a little trouble finding the perfect fit. I'm long but skinny. I'm not home right now to check but I think what I ended up getting was the Neosport XSPAN 3/2mm jumpsuit. The size 6 felt good but had a lot of baggy space under my armpits and somewhat in the torso. We went down to a 4 which fit perfectly - very tight but not unduly uncomfortable (I just need to get used to the sensation) - EXCEPT for my neck. I'm not talking just an unusual/uncomfortable feeling I must get used to - it feels like circulation is restricted and the veins/arteries pop out on either side. It doesn't feel good and I worry that it could be physically detrimental long-term. Not to mention this is a significant monetary investment for me and I want it to function well. Even with the 4 there is a sliiiight amount of loose space under the armpits but other than that and the neck it fits very well (there is no way I could go smaller). I've tried folding the neck down but it's difficult due to tightness and actually feels worse. Even with the neck completely open and un-velcroed it still does this.

First of all - is it normal for a wetsuit to constrict the neck to this extent? I'm totally new to all this.

Secondly - can I "fix" it? I've read that a person can trim the neck (if unhemmed) or put a 3-liter soda bottle of hot water in it to stretch it out. Should I try fixes like this or should I look to exchange for a different brand? I don't think the dive store had anything else in my sizes though.

Thank you!

No, its not normal for a suit to constrict your neck, nor would it be very safe or comfortable.
if you cant find one that fits off the rack, I would consider getting custom fit suit....they are not much more money, but you will be immensely more comfortable in it .

For a new first time buyer of a wet suit it would be nice know what the water temperature is were you'll be diving.. The biggest thing to me is comfortable and warmth.. It's not a big deal to trim the neck.... Just try on as many different brands as you can... They don't all fit the same....

Jim...

Thanks for your responses! I did the 3-liter bottle trick and then tried it on again last night and got in the shower/bath tub. Trimming would not likely help because it isn't the top part along the neck that is tight - it's the hem and entire part stretching across the top of my shoulders. It got even looser under my arms but the neck was still too tight. After just 15 minutes or so it almost gave me a neck spasm. I'm definitely going to have to exchange it.

oldschoolto - I don't have plans at this time for future dives but I expect it would be in warmer surface waters. I don't anticipate deep/cold-water dives at least not in the near future.

crosshairs - Thank you I will look into custom suits as I do love the ocean and want to really delve into this new hobby!

Thanks again.

I have the same problem last time for my old wetsuit, I was advised to cut a tiny "V" at the middle throat area and that's what I've done. It works and I felt more comfortable after all. It aint cheap to get a wetsuit, so that's the best way to do a tiny cut, but it would drop the value if you'd like to sell it in future. If you're going to use it for long, then it should be fine to do it in my opinion.

First thing is that the neosport does not have glued and stitched seams.So water is exchanged thru seams.Get a suit that has glued seams. Neosport is a Henderson budget suit created to fit a price market..try at a minimum a Henderson Thermoprene suit.It has glued and stitched seams.As for the neck discomfort you may be trying a ill fitting suit. A size 4 sounds too short for you.See if the facility has a 4 tall. Also if real comfort and warmth is what you need then go for the Henderson Aqualock..easy to get on/off.Zipper teeth are so close together that water entry is very minimal. I have an 3mm Aqualock with about 400 dives on it that is getting tired and it is now what I use in the pool for classes, and getting another this week for a Honduras trip in 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom