Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, some people are allergic, but thats not "most".
Many are also allergic to perfumes, but most people dont care about that either..
Why would you not eat peanuts on a boat with someone thats allergic to them? They need to be eaten to be a problem?

Yes, some people are allergic, but thats not "most". Why would you not eat peanuts on a boat with someone thats allergic to them? They need to be eaten to be a problem?

the dust they create is a problem for many.

We're not talking about "severely affecting". It stinks. It's annoying.

Well - I guess could go along with "severely affecting" sounding a little too much like a medical emergency, however, at least to me its a little more than just stinky and annoying.

I remember as a kid, sitting in the back seat with adult smokers driving the car. I was living in the north mind you so they would generally be averse to opening the windows for too long, for fear of that unwelcome fresh cold draft of air even if I should somehow muster the courage to ask. Again. So, barely able to breathe, I would pull the neck of my sweater over my mouth and nose and put my head between my legs to suck up the slightly less smoky, if more engine-smelling, air from the floor level. Id sit unpleasantly crouched like that, holding my breath and trying to breathe shallow when I really had to, just yearning for that moment when they would squash the butt in the tray, hoping against better knowledge they would care to completely extinguish it so that the more radical smell of a smoldering stump would not go on indefinitely. Usually when one adult got this far, another who had been politely holding back so as not to completely cloud the car in smoke would light up and so it would go on for miles on end, and itd be the same story with public transportation like trains and school busses.

To this day I gotta hold my breath or breathe shallow If I'm walking behind a smoker in the street knowing that if they were not safe behind their rationalizations they should be really embarrassed about the physical revulsion they cause some people. I would be anyway. "please hold your breath for 5 minutes everyone so that I don't have to leave the TV-chair to boost the overall methane levels, and remember to enjoy the breaks between gusts".

Only good thing is it taught me a trick of closing off my nose, unaided, allowing me to freedive and do underwater stunts without water rushing my nostrils. THeres evolution forya I guess.
icon_rolleyes.gif

No, cigarette smoke is annoying to you because you LET IT be annoying to you. Most people are actually fully capable of ignoring it..
Really? How do you do that? Turn your nose a different way? Stop breathing? Please enlighten me, I'd love to know.
(And no, keeping your mask on and breathing from your regulator does not count :D and I did actually half-seriously consider that one time on a dive boat)

Well - I guess could go along with "severely affecting" sounding a little too much like a medical emergency, however, at least to me its a little more than just stinky and annoying.
I agree that it's debatable and I know that a lot of people are concerned about the health effects. Me personally, I'm not that concerned, unless we're talking serious exposure, like sitting in a room with several active smokers and no ventilation. But that's just me.

Yes, some people are allergic, but thats not "most".
Many are also allergic to perfumes, but most people dont care about that either..
Why would you not eat peanuts on a boat with someone thats allergic to them? They need to be eaten to be a problem?
I hope you're feigning ignorance on that. If we're using an example about allergies and an enclosed situation such as a boat where you can't get off and if you do it affects everyone, some common consideration might be palpable. If you choose to knowingly eat peanuts or trigger someones known allergy after getting on the boat knowing this will be an issue, don't be pissed when the boat has to race for shore because someone went into shock when their throat closed up. With that said, most people with severe allergic reactions like that are quite used to living daily life dealing with those dangers, the only thing they can't prepare for or respond to well is proximity. If someone is sensitively allergic to the smell of peanuts and that triggers their reaction they can't choose to just "avoid it". Particles seem to transfer indefinitely. Things such as sanitizer or other protection are already inbred into their lives but the best prevention if everyone is going on a dive boat is just to not have proximity to it. Even more in this situation, I'm sure people could go without packing a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, they just have to be asked/ warned and agree to being civil.

For the most part we can all compromise for a couple hours for everyone's health, safety and fun (which is precisely every factor diving relates to). Those who are severely reactive to the environment should not be leaving their doorsteps without making accommodations for themselves privately. That's where considerations such as those for avid non smokers must be made if they're sensitive to even considerate smokers. If people are not willing to sacrifice their habits and change, that's our problem, not theirs. They are who they are, as are we. As with the above, we can't blame others when we knew what we were getting ourselves into anyways. That's all on us now.

Seems we have three situations that non smokers are talking about:

1. Second hand smoke causes long term health damage: Akin to the peanut thing, though that is immediate. I would think that a majority here would agree that being exposed to smoke now and then on a dive boat would not affect this. Do some disagree?

2. Smoke causes severe allergic reactions: Akin to the perfume thing. Myself and others feel the person in this situation should avoid being anywhere near any smokers. Some disagree. Some feel smoke contributes to nausea, which I'm sure is true. I would respond that one should take anti-nausea medication prior to the boat trip anyway. Some would say that's irrelevant as smoking doesn't have to occur (though diesel fuel does).

3. Some are simply (very) annoyed at the smell of smoke, regardless of #s 1 & 2: I would believe this is where the arguements really are.

Thoughts?

3. Some are simply (very) annoyed at the smell of smoke, regardless of #s 1 & 2: I would believe this is where the arguements really are.

Thoughts?
Yes. I wonder why people even argue about that. I know what I like and what I dislike. I know I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. What's the point in trying to tell me that I shouldn't?

Yes. I wonder why people even argue about that. I know what I like and what I dislike. I know I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. What's the point in trying to tell me that I shouldn't?
The point is that if you take a chill pill and dont let it annoy you you'll just have a better and easier vacation than bitching and moaning and try making people stop smoking...

261311:
I hope you're feigning ignorance on that. If we're using an example about allergies and an enclosed situation such as a boat where you can't get off and if you do it affects everyone, some common consideration might be palpable. If you choose to knowingly eat peanuts or trigger someones known allergy after getting on the boat knowing this will be an issue, don't be pissed when the boat has to race for shore because someone went into shock when their throat closed up. With that said, most people with severe allergic reactions like that are quite used to living daily life dealing with those dangers, the only thing they can't prepare for or respond to well is proximity. If someone is sensitively allergic to the smell of peanuts and that triggers their reaction they can't choose to just "avoid it". Particles seem to transfer indefinitely. Things such as sanitizer or other protection are already inbred into their lives but the best prevention if everyone is going on a dive boat is just to not have proximity to it. Even more in this situation, I'm sure people could go without packing a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, they just have to be asked/ warned and agree to being civil.

Although I have a lot of friends thats allergic to various nuts, Ive NEVER EVER encountered anyone thats so allergic to them I cant eat nuts in the same room or on the same boat...
Ive never said you can't show mutual respect and consideration anywhere in this thread, Im just saying some people make things into an issue that really are not and they choose to single out the things they dont like, but gladly do things others dont like, for instance perfumes..

Really? How do you do that? Turn your nose a different way? Stop breathing? Please enlighten me, I'd love to know.

Its a little hard to explain but maybe not such a mystery. I just used to think of it as just "closing my nose" but found that noone had any idea what I was talking about.

Anyway I kinda lift or tense the muscles at the back of the roof of my mouth, much like you'd do naturally when you are yawning, creating a bigger room, back there, as with some singing techniques. I then hold that tension but in a relaxed easy manner. For me there seems to be an increased effect if at that point i Imagine speaking as if with a heavy cold, completely blocking my nose as if the glands were all swollen and stuffed (think "By Dose" - as if you had to position your mouth to say it like that. Then I get a feeling and an effect as if the airway is at least partially closed, and I cant smell anything, and can only breathe through my mouth as long as i maintain the tension and feeling.

Thats kind of it. Obviously if I lie down horizontally in the water and let it rise gradually over my face a bit of water may enter my nostrils because the airpocket is not sealed by the water, but if I just make natural dives thats what happens most of the time as long as I keep that vacuum tight. If I stay with my head down for too long eventually the air will escape, and the outer part of my nostrils fill, I guess but for superfluous somersaults and general freediving and being in a small car with a ****load of smokers it works a treat.

Just in case you were wondering Im not fckin with you ;o) it does work.

The point is that if you take a chill pill and dont let it annoy you you'll just have a better and easier vacation than bitching and moaning and try making people stop smoking...

Although I have a lot of friends thats allergic to various nuts, Ive NEVER EVER encountered anyone thats so allergic to them I cant eat nuts in the same room or on the same boat...
Ive never said you can't show mutual respect and consideration anywhere in this thread, Im just saying some people make things into an issue that really are not and they choose to single out the things they dont like, but gladly do things others dont like, for instance perfumes..
[/COLOR]

I agree with the chill pill point. I understand a smokers need to have a smoke, and I understand the concerns of some non-smokers. If I am on a boat with both, I won't participate in the dispute, nor will I let it ruin my fun :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom