Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOl - just noticed you were actually replying to something else dang - but it actually fit stuff in my post quite well too ;o) anyway there you are

2.1.2 Age
Smoking patterns differ by age. Prevalence is highest among adults aged 45 to 54 with a
rate of 25% in 2008 (USDHHS, 2009). The rate of smoking decreases over the life course,
with adults aged 65 and older being the least likely to smoke (9.3%) (USDHHS, 2009). This
is also due in part to the fact that smokers are less likely to live to older ages (USDHHS,
1989, 1990).

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 05:28 PM ----------

Likewise, smoking prevalence among adults with less than a high school education (27.3%)
is more than three times higher than smoking prevalence among adults with at least a
college education (8.9%) (USDHHS, 2008).

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 05:29 PM ----------

Smoking has profound effects on health both directly through smoking cigarettes and
indirectly through exposure to secondhand smoke (USDHHS, 2004, 2006). Smoking causes
disease in nearly every organ of the body, which may result in lifelong disability status.
Specifically, the Surgeon General’s report, The Health Consequences of Smoking , concludes
that smoking reduces the overall health of smokers by contributing to conditions such as hip
fractures, complications from diabetes, increased wound infections following surgery, and an
array of reproductive complications. Many smokers who do not die prematurely from these
or other complications live with a serious smoking-related illness or disability (USDHHS,
2004).
Tobacco use is a major contributor to the most common causes of disability (Institute of
Medicine, 2006) and a significant predictor of disability (Vita et al., 1998). Furthermore,
individuals who do not smoke (e.g., have better health habits) have longer life expectancy
and postponed disability (Vita et al., 1998).

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 05:31 PM ----------

2.3.2 Sexual Orientation
Empirical research provides evidence of sexual orientation–related tobacco use disparities
(Lee, Griffin, and Melvin, 2009). Specifically, tobacco use among lesbian, gay, and bisexual
adults exceeds tobacco use among heterosexual adults (Greenwood et al., 2005;
Gruskin et al., 2001, 2007; Ryan et al., 2001).

Its a little hard to explain but maybe not such a mystery. I just used to think of it as just "closing my nose" but found that noone had any idea what I was talking about.

Anyway I kinda lift or tense the muscles at the back of the roof of my mouth, much like you'd do naturally when you are yawning, creating a bigger room, back there, as with some singing techniques. I then hold that tension but in a relaxed easy manner. For me there seems to be an increased effect if at that point i Imagine speaking as if with a heavy cold, completely blocking my nose as if the glands were all swollen and stuffed (think "By Dose" - as if you had to position your mouth to say it like that. Then I get a feeling and an effect as if the airway is at least partially closed, and I cant smell anything, and can only breathe through my mouth as long as i maintain the tension and feeling.

Thats kind of it. Obviously if I lie down horizontally in the water and let it rise gradually over my face a bit of water may enter my nostrils because the airpocket is not sealed by the water, but if I just make natural dives thats what happens most of the time as long as I keep that vacuum tight. If I stay with my head down for too long eventually the air will escape, and the outer part of my nostrils fill, I guess but for superfluous somersaults and general freediving and being in a small car with a ****load of smokers it works a treat.

Just in case you were wondering Im not fckin with you ;o) it does work.

Just a little off topic-- This is exactly what you do when diving maskless to keep water from going in your nose (except for in the nostrils obviously). You don't have to make sure you are not looking up or do anything else like pinch your nose. I try explaining this. You do a good job. This obviously prevents smoke from entering as well.

As long as you are pouring out the risks of smoking and second hand smoke, here is one you missed: Impotence and Smoking

Here is the key summary for those who are interested:

"Impotence, or erectile dysfunction, is twice as likely to occur in smokers than non-smokers. Exposure to second-hand smoke is a significant factor in becoming impotent."

The point is that if you take a chill pill and dont let it annoy you you'll just have a better and easier vacation than bitching and moaning and try making people stop smoking...
Again I ask, how do I stop it from being annoying? How can I ignore it, how does that work? How do I get myself to stop hating something that I hate?

It doesn't ruin my vacation, but the vacation would be better without having smokers around. I find lots of other things annoying too. The screaming of little kids example. But to that, there are remedies, so I don't complain. To smokers, there are not.

And nobody's trying to stop anyone from smoking. I don't care how much people smoke. As long as they don't do it anywhere close to where I am.

How can you ignore anything? How does that work? I guess you just dont pay attention to it and find something else to focus on.. like anything but whatever you want to ignore..

Cognitive behavior therapy focuses us on our emotions being our own voluntary responses to stimuli. You absolutely can control your reaction to outside influences. It is your choice to allow yourself to react with annoyance and unhappiness. There are methods to teach ourselves to recognize our inner choices and negative self-talk. Life is much easier and more pleasant when you stop blaming others for making you feel bad and take charge of when you choose to let something make you feel bad. Get help. It exists.

Cognitive behavior therapy focuses us on our emotions being our own voluntary responses to stimuli. You absolutely can control your reaction to outside influences. It is your choice to allow yourself to react with annoyance and unhappiness. There are methods to teach ourselves to recognize our inner choices and negative self-talk. Life is much easier and more pleasant when you stop blaming others for making you feel bad and take charge of when you choose to let something make you feel bad. Get help. It exists.
It does indeed. Athletes use it all the time to keep their focus on succeeding rather than failing. In daily life its used for chronic pain treatment. Ive seen people do experiments with it on allergies as well infact, although only "benign" allergies like cats and dogs. Its kinda interesting seeing people going from snotty wrecks as soon as they get into a room where one has been before them to being able to lie on the couch with them on their lap, petting them (not great danes obviously).. Ever noticed how kids can "grow out of it" when it comes to allergies?

Well, with that said, now Im gonna be called a psycho by those who dont believe your behaviour and reaction patterns can be changed, but rather a psycho knowing I can "use my brain - for a change" than the trypanophob I was after being hospitalized with meningitis and being used as a needlepillow..

By the way, the vast bulk of claims of "allergies" are nothing of the kind. Nut allergies that induce a severe histamine reaction are indeed serious allergies. But people's alleged allergies to smoking are often not physical allergic reactions at all.

I "grew out" of my severe summer hay fever allergy at about age 35. As mentioned, I was allergic to smoke, as I was allergic to everything. It was real-- I took shots, pills, even prednisone at some points during the summer. At the same time, I believe many people who are "allergic' to smoke are not physically allergic, as fred3798 says. My wife, a former smoker, is one person who IS allergic to smoke. In fact, she has become increasingly allergic to other stuff as well with age-- the opposite of me. I'm talking about sneezing, runny nose, eyes, etc.--not annoyances. She has never lied to me, so it must be true. However, I conclude that she is in a very small minority, as was I years ago.

Back
Top Bottom