Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... are the whackNut in front of me NOT using their turn signal? are you the jabberwocky that can't count to 10 at the supermarket checkout isle? are you the schlubb that pulls into the handicapped parking 'cos you're just gonna be there for a minute? trust me toots; you are perfect....
I am neither and I don't start a barbecue on my balcony, fuming the neighbours out, I don't listen music at 100dB at 1am, etc. Why? #1: I am at least try to be a civilized human, and don't play life as a first-person-shooter game. #2: The harassed neighbour will take his shotgun and end the issue quickly.
There are obvious and less obvious forms of harassment, smoking when a non-smoker is present is an obvious one. How do you know, that the other guy nearby is not asthmatic, getting a serious attack because of YOUR smoke??? Not psycho-shock, because "she/he is a smoke Nazi", but real asthmatic shock? Blocking the handicapped parking, holding up the supermarket line are also pretty obvious signs of a "jerk" - the former is also involves heavy fines where I live. To my knowledge, putting others health at risk is a crime: I work with chemicals, what would I get from the police, if I took a bucket of nasty-smelly chemical from the lab and walk along Broadway in NYC?? (at the first time probably nothing, because they won't have enough time to catch me. But on the 3-4th occasion someone would call for an investigation and I'd end up pretty quickly in JAIL for toxicating others. Anyway, I don't say I am fun of people giving a lesson to smokers. This has to come from the authorities. As paying customers, we can also move the diving industry a bit, by asking before booking a trip. If they see 100 questions like that, they will think about it, and may organize non-smoking boats.

Well, the first question is "what is a dive boat?" I guess..
Ive been on anything from this kinda thing where there really is not much room to be polite about anything other than what you DONT to..
View attachment 152220

and then you have what Im USUALLY on, something like these, where you have a lot more space and alternatives..
View attachment 152221

I dunno man - last time I went to sharm on a boat like that, acting as a tour guide for a group of divers who rented the boat, the swedish DM doing internship or whatever would prance around smoking on the rear deck while people were kitting up, just hanging out you know, not really helping out or anything just showing good will by turning up and hanging loose.

I guess he was a particularly horrendous case ;o)

These conversations about who has a right and who doesn't always kill me, in this situation it is the owner of the dive boat who has the right to make whatever rules he see's fit. If he wants to allow or not allow smoking on HIS boat it is his choice alone and if someone thinks it is a great idea to have a "smoking boat" or "non-smoking boat" or whatever then become an entrepreneur and put your money and your family's welfare on the line instead of just your mouth but until you do you quit criticizing those who have. If you decide not to use a dive operator because of his rules and want to let him know all you have to do is politely tell him why. Just my .02. Oh, and no I don't smoke.

so are you having the captain of this miracle day boat of yours paddle you around from spot to spot? last time i went diving the diesel fumes kinda imparted their own special aroma to the day festivities. STFU before somebody stuffs you in a designated area for a right decent ........

"Most...without being asked......when politely asked". "But..a few *****....plop butt next to me". Well, we KNOW there are *****s. And I would imagine that the smokers who move downwind on their own or when asked are the vast majority. The arguement some have is that there IS no "downwind" and that there should be no smoking at all on boats. It would seem that you are OK with smokers being considerate in moving away from you on a boat. Is this correct?

The ability to compromise is what separates the adults from the children. If a smoker is willing to position himself where the smoke blows off the boat, I'm willing to position myself further upwind. But, this depends on the boat. Smaller boats just don't have a good place to smoke or anywhere for nonsmokers to move to get out of the plume. I'm not willing to sit in a cloud of cigarette smoke until I get so nauseous I become unsafe to dive, nor am I willing to have some twit dribble hot ash on me and my dive kit.

Dive boat operators generally don't have the luxury to turn away divers- it's a fairly narrow margin business. They can't be successful with a business model that drives away customers, whether smokers or nonsmokers. It's a customer service business. The good operators will establish the smoking rules before the boat leaves the marina, and will enforce those rules with both divers and crew. If I don't know the operator, their smoking policy is always one of the questions I ask before I book the dive. If they aren't willing to provide me some assurance that I won't spend the day in a cloud of smoke, I'll find another boat. There's always another guy willing to sell me a boat ride.

Well, the first question is "what is a dive boat?" I guess..
Ive been on anything from this kinda thing where there really is not much room to be polite about anything other than what you DONT to..
View attachment 152220

and then you have what Im USUALLY on, something like these, where you have a lot more space and alternatives..
View attachment 152221
My worst experience so far was on the second kind, a bit smaller than that though. The top deck was mostly occupied by the crew, most of whom smoked, while the bottom deck was half closed like the one in the picture, and also had smokers (plus the captain's toddler). The only fresh air you could get was at the very rear, where it was open, but there you were exposed to the exhaust fumes. Needless to say, I'm not likely to book with that dive op again.

These conversations about who has a right and who doesn't always kill me, in this situation it is the owner of the dive boat who has the right to make whatever rules he see's fit. If he wants to allow or not allow smoking on HIS boat it is his choice alone and if someone thinks it is a great idea to have a "smoking boat" or "non-smoking boat" or whatever then become an entrepreneur and put your money and your family's welfare on the line instead of just your mouth but until you do you quit criticizing those who have. If you decide not to use a dive operator because of his rules and want to let him know all you have to do is politely tell him why. Just my .02. Oh, and no I don't smoke.

Agree 100%. The right for the entrepreneur to do as he/she pleases with the boat has been mentioned before. Personally, I agree. But remember, it USED to be that way with PRIVATE restaurants, etc.--private indoor places. Now laws prohibit smoking there in many (most) places, at least in the U.S./Canada. I agree 100% with those laws for truly public places--airports, bus depots, train stations. Government buildings. I would not include such places as baseball stadiums, even indoor basketball/hockey arenas. They're private, you don't have to go there. Supermarkets are private, but in today's world, most people have no real choice but to be there. Dive boats: not the same.

My worst experience so far was on the second kind, a bit smaller than that though. The top deck was mostly occupied by the crew, most of whom smoked, while the bottom deck was half closed like the one in the picture, and also had smokers (plus the captain's toddler). The only fresh air you could get was at the very rear, where it was open, but there you were exposed to the exhaust fumes. Needless to say, I'm not likely to book with that dive op again.
Always fantastic when the only fresh air is right over the exhaust pipe..

Everyone makes their own decisions. I'm a non-smoker who has a better half that smokes. She is actually a very courteous smoker: if the captain says smoking is okay, she stays aft-most part of the boat so no one else is subjected to it. Otherwise she has Nicorette gum and chews that between dives.

I have no problem with people smoking as long as they're respectful of the non-smokers (i.e., not blowing smoke in the direction of the non-smokers).

Everyone makes their own decisions. I'm a non-smoker who has a better half that smokes. She is actually a very courteous smoker: if the captain says smoking is okay, she stays aft-most part of the boat so no one else is subjected to it. Otherwise she has Nicorette gum and chews that between dives.

I have no problem with people smoking as long as they're respectful of the non-smokers (i.e., not blowing smoke in the direction of the non-smokers).

Since the thread has been revived, I'll ask what do you think of those that say that the smoke from the aft-most part of the boat is often circulated back toward the front?--and some scientific diagrams have been presented. I'm not just playing Devil's advocate, as I tend to agree with your better half--just curious what you think.

Ban smoking and ban the obese..... both a danger to themselves and others, especially when diving. Or don't.... and mind your own business.

I love a good cigar every now and then.....and also love a good meal. If I'm on a boat, and I am 100% downwind, and 100% not violating any one elses rights in any way, and it's 100% OK with the skipper......then all the anti nicotine nannys and anerexic's can just ignore it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom