Bull Shark dive in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be in Cancun in Aug and are doing a day of Cenote's, a Whale shark day and a few dives over at Coz. Is the Bull shark worth it? We did the shark dive with Stuart Cove's and love it but something about bulls makes me think twice. Do they chum the water? We are diving with Alvero w/ Always diving in Cancun and Aldora in Coz. Thx in advance.

I don't know this for certain but what I have heard is that some ops chum and some ops don't. Which is why sometimes they show up and and sometimes they don't. I have done non-bullshark dives on the mainland during which a bullshark has cruised past us (fairly close) but seeing them was not the purpose of the dive. I did one "bullshark" dive to the mainland and we saw nada and it was, IMO, a total waste of time. The next time the trip was offered to me, I declined and asked that we go elsewhere, which was accommodated.

The bullsharks in Playa del Carmen are mostly a fall/winter thing. I don't know how many you will see in August. If you're diving with Alvaro, drop him a note. He'll know. We have done about 50 dives with him, including a bullshark dive, and he never lets us down.

The only bull shark dive I know about is a couple hundred metres off the beach in front of Gran Porto Real in Playa Del carmen. I have done this twice. As far as i know the sharks are there from around December to March. The shop i dive with, Scuba10, doesn't chum. I think there was another dive shop pro who was hand feeding the sharks but he may have stopped doing this. Let's hope so.

The season for "bull shark dives" is over, but sometimes we still see a few on deeper dives here in Playa del Carmen. Always nice to see the unexpected on our dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom