Did you do a Discover Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. Did a discover scuba trip in Costa Rica last May (for total noobs who'd never been underwater before) and caught the bug instantly. Went looking for an OW course as soon as I got home.

They didn't call it discover scuba but in 1966 the LDS that eventually certified me held an event that allowed people to use scuba in the shallow end of the pool. One of life's events embedded in my mind forever. I was 14 at the time hoping to be the 1st 14 year the shop certified but they made me wait 2 more years until I was 16 the low limit at the time or at least their limit. I had wanted to scuba since I 1st saw Sea Hunt at age 6 or 7. My feet didn't touch the ground for a week! Mike Nelson in my mind!

Yes, I guess. Does the resort short course count? I did the resort intro class in Jamaica back in New Year 2000-2001 in my first out of the country vacation ever. I wasn't all that impressed while we were at depth in swim trunks and a t-shirt. It was cold and cloudy so not much light plus viz was terrible due to winter storms. About four months later I was in Nassau Bahamas and did the resort course again. This time the viz was great and the water was much warmer. From then on I was hooked. B

viz was just so-so, maybe 40-45 feet

I just have to giggle at this, since I got certified in Puget Sound in about 3 feet of viz :)

Reactions: D_B
Did a DSD off the beach (where I had regularly snorkelled), I was amazed that the fish just swam past me, while just floating there. The next holiday I did my PADI OW. nd as they say "the rest is history".

No I went strait into doing my open water class but I had been snorkeling since I was a kid in all the creeks around here. I always knew I wanted to be able to go deeper and stay down longer.

Since I first used SCUBA in the winter of 1961-62, they hadn't "discovered" Discover Scuba yet. We did it on our own with one statement of advice "Don't hold your breath"

I enjoy talking with folks who have just done a Discover Scuba with one of our local instructors at the dive park. Some are so enthusiastic although a few are scared to death. Here ours are done in the ocean since freshwater pools are a rarity on our semi-arid island.

I never thought my son would be able to get certified due to asthma, but he did a Discover Scuba in Cabo san Lucas and got certified shortly after. Now if I could only get him away from his new business for a few dives!

Nope, I went straight for OW certification during a backpack vacation in Australia in 2005. After 2 days of classroom/pool sessions we headed out to the Great Barrier Reef for 2 days and I just remember loving it so much that I jumped at the opportunity to add a 3rd day at the GBR to get my adventure diver certification. Two weeks later I was on a sailing trip which happened to have two dive instructors so after reading several chapters and doing the knowledge reviews I did two more training dives to get my AOW. After moving to the US I did the wreck diver course at the Florida Keys in 2006.

Unfortunately I got caught up with work and didn't have a dive buddy so I didn't dive again until I moved to Madeira, a subtropical island in the Atlantic ocean. During April 2011 I convinced some colleagues to try out DSD and the divepoint told me my refresher would be the same as their DSD.
I've diving regularly here in Madeira, completed several other specialties and got the rescue diver certification and have just started my divemaster internship which I'll complete over the summer.

I frequently convince some of our students at the university to try the DSD. The guys at the divepoint are great, pay attention to detail, go as slow as people need and just focus on having fun. Now that I'm a DM intern I'll be doing a lot more DSDs soon :D

No discover scuba for me. I was convinced I'd like diving, went on a holiday dedicated to learning, and found out I loved it

I did a discover (pool & OW) on Kauai in 1985. Good times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom