Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Not For Me

Votes: 62 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A knife's just a tool. If you need a big knife for dispatching large fish or use as a pry bar, then by all means carry one.

Personally, I find a large knife to be somewhat clumsy, but I also find that small knives are often best for precision work and making small careful cuts. I'm not expecting to be doing any precise work underwater wearing dry gloves, so I want at least a 3" blade minimum and 7" would be pushing the limits of what I would consider practical.

Unnecessary and clumsy. I'll take 2 small cutting tools anyday.

I carry a trilobite and a small blunt tip titanium knife mounted on my bc. As to what others choose, well it's none of my damn business. I find others disparaging remarks to be similar to the jr. high kids who make fun of someone for not wearing Gant shirts (yes I am that old:confused:).

As I was taught my basic class by an ex-military instructor, always carry a large knife on the inside of your calf, I've sort of never though otherwise. Over the years I have become somewhat of a Wenoka Blackie Collins Z-lock aficionado, and have acquired several of the different models, especially in the 85XX series. I've been an avid spearfisher, done commerical work in harbors and lead my share of tourists along reefs. My knives have always been useful tools to maximize my safety and that of others. Only once have I had to disentangle someone by using the line cutter (monofilament is nasty stuff), but I'm glad to have had my knife on my leg when it was necessary. Carrying a big blade is a sure conversation starter.

By far the most popular of my vintage knives is an old Mares Tris, because besides being honking big with a seven inch hog sticker, it has the single most useful notch ever to grace a dive knife..... a bottle opener. Perfect for enjoying the apres-dive atmosphere on most excursions.

Last edited:
I have reached a point in life where I no longer seek or need "group" think approval or tribal connection. As a fully independent thinker I assess my needs and use what I prefer. N

What's your position on "Really Big Knifes"?

I'm behind them. That's the best position.

I started diving in the late 70's with the big Scuba Pro knife and still have it. Recently bought a new BP&W which came with the shears and broke off steak knife. I like the BFK to use as a poking/whatever tool and still use it. I will break out the steak knife and shears during the pre-dive inquisition. Everybody has an opinion, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom