Swimming on your back with a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On really long surface swims I hold my GPS in my hands so I can observe my course deviation. Going out I try to sight on marks to keep my course. Returning is more problematic and requires the occasional head turn plus following my GPS bread crumbs. Of course, the occasional head turn is always good to look for boats etc.

You would want to lift your head is belly swimming with a snorkel for the same reason, at least on my back, I might can also hear them just before I get run't over.

Some of my longest swims have been with no BC of any sort, face down, with snorkel. But, if I got a wing, I am rolling over into my easy chair, popping my mask up on my head and paddling along. If I gotta have a sissy BC wing, might as well be comfortable.

N

Surface swimming on my back was one thing I could do well in the wing.

Still working on actually being able to dive in the thing (cold water with drysuit)!

- Bill

With the right inflation on your back with a wing is the easiest way to swim. If a current is as strong below as on the surface, I think it's the fastest way I can get from A to B.

I have trouble remembering but I think it is easier with a wing than it was with a jacket BCD. Certainly a lot more stable (and therefore easier) with doubles than with a single tank. Others may feel different about this one but to each his own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom