Underwater Archaeology - Drawing Shipwreck sites. I'm interested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last night I attended a dive club meeting and there was a speaker there talking about underwater archaeology. It was a very interesting meeting and something I think I would like to get involved in. One particular aspect I like was the 3d drawings of the shipwrecks. I can draw and I think I could be good at this and it would allow me to combine some of my interests.

Do any of you do this? How did you get started? I am interested in the procedures to create an accurate representation of a site.

There will be a class for this in May and I am going to take it, but I thought I might as well start learning now.

I'd be interested to hear more about this too. BTW what is the class you're taking in May?

I think you guys are onto something good. One of the qualities looked for on an underwater arch team is the ability to draw underwater. It is very difficult to sketch out everything at once and dozens of dives are required to get all the information required for a sketch.

I read a report by NPS SCRU where they went to the pacific to look at WW2 wrecks and it had beautiful sketches done by a member of the team. These things were multi page works of art. I will try and get the name when I'm back at the university.

You could try contacting someone here at UWF in Pensacola. They have a great maritime archeology program.

Hi there...WE NEED YOU!!!...I have more than a few unsurveyed wrecks in Tonga...one 1616 apears to be spanish!!..with a full cargo hold...long story but check out my web site.. www.bluetreasure.me after a lot of reasearch and "politics" this is year four of this project and "finally" we can touch the wrecks!!...all the details on the web..we have the support of the Royal Family in Tonga and Govt. permits...we are not Pirates...and we are are forming a team volunteer team of Passionate people now!!...so PM me or email...there has NOT been a project like this in the Pacific since I can remember!!...good luck with your efforts...all the best...Don

I agree with looking into NAS, I took the Intro to Coastal and Underwater Archaeology course today and absolutely loved it.

I plan on continuing in the NAS programs as they become available. NAS is also a Globally recognized program, hopefully the MAST program aligns itself with some sort of agency, otherwise your class will not allow you to work on any sites outside of that one group's projects

Global Underwater Explorers has a course called "Documentation Diver" which is right up your alley!

Hello-

MAST's spring workshop beginner level curriculum is quite comparable to NAS level I. Many MAST members are also members of NAS and other organizations and several have completed advanced levels with one our members holding NAS level 4 certification.

We work closely with the Great Lakes Historical Society, the Peachman Lake Erie Shipwreck Center, the Cleveland Underwater Explorers and numerous other organizations.

In addition to surveying maritime archaeological sites MAST maintains a series of buoys and mooring blocks on eleven shipwrecks in Lake Erie.

You can see the list of wrecks we maintain buoys on here:

Ohio MAST Inc. Maritime Archaeological Survey Team, Inc

In addition to our Spring Workshop we are holding our annual banquet this Saturday at the Maumee Bay Resort in Toledo. It features a diving and nautical archaeological related silent auction and a guest speaker, Dr. Gary Gibson. The keynote speech is entitled: Frontier Fleet, The American Navy on Lake Ontario During the War of 1812.

There may still be room for one or two more students in the beginners level workshop and there are several seats available for the banquet.

The full weekend flyer can be viewed here:

http://ohiomast.org/IMAGES/WORKSHOP/2013_Nautical_Archaeology_Workshop_flyer.pdf

If you would like to attend please call Carrie Sowden at 440-967-3467 ext 6 or email shipwreck@inlandseas.org.

Kind regards,

Chris Kraska
Chairman, MAST Board of Directors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom