New intermediate level set-up, please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linder

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have been searching around the forums and there are so many good threads however my problem is that there is almost too much information. I've been shooting underwater for about 5 years and being a real geek when it comes to my hobbies I think I am learning to take some decent shots, both wide-angle and macro. I've been using a canon G9 compact with a Sea&Sea YS01 strobe but on a recent deep dive chasing hammerheads in Egypt I managed to flood my strobe. I also turn 30 this April and have decided to gift myself
smile.png
a new set-up, both camera and strobe(s).

I need your help though. I am looking for a versatile Micro 4/3 system with one or two strobes and lenses and ports which allows me to shoot both macro and wide-angle (I realize that I probably won't be able to shoot both WA and Macro on the same dive when I switch away from the compact camera system). I've been looking at the Olympus cameras mostly due to the fact that their own housings seem quite reasonable price-wise but the set-up can be any brand really.

So a versatile camera + housing + lens (lenses?) and port(s) + one or two strobes and I am looking to pay no more than 3500 euro / 4000 USD (cheaper is of course better, this is my absolute max!). I live in Sweden so finding a dealer within the EU means no import taxes or customs fees which are quite high if i buy from the US.

Any advice is very greatly appreciated!

I have attached a recent shot so that you can see what sort of skill level I am today shooting with my G9 (the picture is overexposed but what the heck).

Many thanks!
Martin
IMG_16822.jpg

There is a similar thread on the board here

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/440894-om-d-rig-step-step.html

that I think would be interesting reading for you.

With your budget you can construct a very good system. Even if I assume 25% VAT, your 4000USD would be equivalent to 3200 USD before tax, which let me think about US prices.

I would suggest the following for consideration if you are staying with Olympus

1. You should have an objective to select a housing that has a dome port. For wide angle it is far, far superior. So you should plan in your budget both a housing and a separate dome (e.g. Olympus + Zen) or the 10bar with dome included, etc..

this may help

Shop for underwater camera housings from Nauticam, Aquatica, Ikelite, Olympus and others

2. In choosing the camera and housing, the priority is you should buy the best camera body capability that you can within your budget. The housing and body are a matched set and you will be committed to that combination for years. If that means you wait till later to have the money for additional lenses, that's OK. This is a better priority (in my opinion) than buying a less capable camera up front with multiple lenses. You will be able to find $500+ for another lens later - but changing to another body later would mean starting all over on the housing.
2b. Consider the 12-50 lens; which probably answers all your needs for now. Macro is not possible with the 14-42 kit lens alone; you could add wet diopters however. Or consider the 9-18 which is a wonderful wide angle.
3. Next priority is one very good strobe such as the Z240. Buy a tray with capability to add the second strobe, so you don't have to change trays later. If you have enough money for the second strobe, good; if not: it can wait.

Hope that helps.

Gareth

There is a similar thread on the board herehttp://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/440894-om-d-rig-step-step.htmlthat I think would be interesting reading for you.With your budget you can construct a very good system. Even if I assume 25% VAT, your 4000USD would be equivalent to 3200 USD before tax, which let me think about US prices.I would suggest the following for consideration if you are staying with Olympus1. You should have an objective to select a housing that has a dome port. For wide angle it is far, far superior. So you should plan in your budget both a housing and a separate dome (e.g. Olympus + Zen) or the 10bar with dome included, etc..this may helpShop for underwater camera housings from Nauticam, Aquatica, Ikelite, Olympus and others2. In choosing the camera and housing, the priority is you should buy the best camera body capability that you can within your budget. The housing and body are a matched set and you will be committed to that combination for years. If that means you wait till later to have the money for additional lenses, that's OK. This is a better priority (in my opinion) than buying a less capable camera up front with multiple lenses. You will be able to find $500+ for another lens later - but changing to another body later would mean starting all over on the housing.2b. Consider the 12-50 lens; which probably answers all your needs for now. Macro is not possible with the 14-42 kit lens alone; you could add wet diopters however. Or consider the 9-18 which is a wonderful wide angle.3. Next priority is one very good strobe such as the Z240. Buy a tray with capability to add the second strobe, so you don't have to change trays later. If you have enough money for the second strobe, good; if not: it can wait.Hope that helps.Gareth
Thank you Gareth, very good and logical reasoning. I've had 2 Sea & Sea strobes and have handled both with extreme care and attention to maintenance but somehow managed to flood both, so switching to Inon feels like the right thing to do (hoping for better luck there :)). The more people like yourself that give me advice about this the more I feel like going for the OM-D and just buying less accessories for now. Again thanks for the good advice and I will read up on the thread you linked.

Thank you Gareth, very good and logical reasoning. I've had 2 Sea & Sea strobes and have handled both with extreme care and attention to maintenance but somehow managed to flood both, so switching to Inon feels like the right thing to do (hoping for better luck there :)). The more people like yourself that give me advice about this the more I feel like going for the OM-D and just buying less accessories for now. Again thanks for the good advice and I will read up on the thread you linked.

How on earth did you flood the strobes? I have been using S&S strobes since 1997 and I only had one flood because of my carelessness in handling the o'ring. It didn't stop me from being able to clean the inside of the battery compartment and using the strobe the next day no problem. No problem at all since then.

I have owned about 10 S&S strobes BTW.

How on earth did you flood the strobes? I have been using S&S strobes since 1997 and I only had one flood because of my carelessness in handling the o'ring. It didn't stop me from being able to clean the inside of the battery compartment and using the strobe the next day no problem. No problem at all since then.

I have owned about 10 S&S strobes BTW.

Just my luck I guess :(..

---------- Post added April 13th, 2013 at 06:41 AM ----------

---------- Post added April 13th, 2013 at 06:43 AM ----------

So, I'm still torn between getting the E-PL5 with a Oly housing and 60mm macro lens plus 9-18mm lens + ZEN WA-100 dome port as opposed t o getting the OM-D with kit 12 - 50 lens. I understand the benefit of building up the OM-D system over time it just seems I get so much more if I go PL5 (both great WA and great Macro lens plus dome port).

Could anyone give me an idea how wide the 12 mm OM-D kit lens will be with the standard Nauticam port compared to lets say the Canon S95 (which I use now) 28mm with Fantasea BigEye dome?

I elected for an ELP-5 and I will start building the underwater kit slowly starting this summer. Probably start with the Oly housing then get a tray, DS-01 and a Pro IV or V focus light for it and a macro lens and the adapter. Time will tell if I will get a dome and acquire other lenses for underwater shooting.

Just my luck I guess :(..

---------- Post added April 13th, 2013 at 06:41 AM ----------

---------- Post added April 13th, 2013 at 06:43 AM ----------

So, I'm still torn between getting the E-PL5 with a Oly housing and 60mm macro lens plus 9-18mm lens + ZEN WA-100 dome port as opposed t o getting the OM-D with kit 12 - 50 lens. I understand the benefit of building up the OM-D system over time it just seems I get so much more if I go PL5 (both great WA and great Macro lens plus dome port).

Could anyone give me an idea how wide the 12 mm OM-D kit lens will be with the standard Nauticam port compared to lets say the Canon S95 (which I use now) 28mm with Fantasea BigEye dome?

As I understand it the standard Nauticam flat port will only work with the kit lens in macro mode Therefore, the lens cannot really be used in WA.

I elected for an ELP-5 and I will start building the underwater kit slowly starting this summer. Probably start with the Oly housing then get a tray, DS-01 and a Pro IV or V focus light for it and a macro lens and the adapter. Time will tell if I will get a dome and acquire other lenses for underwater shooting.
I Just pulled the trigger and ordered these for my E-PL5 from Aditech (shipping from Spain):10bar housing with 10bar semidome for 9-18&14-42, incl. zoom+focus gear (HS-DC-Op-EPL5);67mm wet lens adapter for the 10bar semidome (AR-D127-F67);Inon UCL-165 close-up lens.;Archon D32VR video light.Total budget incl camera and lenses, VAT & shipping: 2800USD

As I understand it the standard Nauticam flat port will only work with the kit lens in macro mode Therefore, the lens cannot really be used in WA.

Sorry I think I was a bit unclear, I will if I buy the OM-D get the port and zoom gear for the 12-50 mm, I just wanted to get an idea how wide the 12 mm will be without a dome (compared to a compact 28mm with a dome). Realize it's a tricky question but just want to get a ball park figure :)

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 12:43 AM ----------

I Just pulled the trigger and ordered these for my E-PL5 from Aditech (shipping from Spain):10bar housing with 10bar semidome for 9-18&14-42, incl. zoom+focus gear (HS-DC-Op-EPL5);67mm wet lens adapter for the 10bar semidome (AR-D127-F67);Inon UCL-165 close-up lens.;Archon D32VR video light.Total budget incl camera and lenses, VAT & shipping: 2800USD

Nice!

Why did you select the 10bar housing and not the Olympus?
I would love to see some pictures taken with the 9-18mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom