Ultralight w handles or L&M tray w/flex arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got a Hero 3 and am adding two Solas. I want to keep things light, small and easy to handle though don't want to compromise utility. I'm looking for feedback on whether to choose the ultralight dual gopro tays with handles, mounting the solas right on the handles or Light and Motion tray with flex arms. Thanks

I have both, the Ultralight for my DSLR and Light & Motion for my GoPro. I have no complaints about either, but to me the Light & Motion tray is more suited for the GoPro. Very compact and light. I use Solas with it as well.

I think you can't go wrong in both cases
With ultralight you will recycle the handles and trash the tray if you change camera
With Sola you will keep the locline arms and trash the tray if you upgrade
You still need arms for the Ultralight (locline work fine) so in terms of future proof ultralight, two handles without ball and locline arms is the set up that will last longer
I still use this (with different tray) for my compact video set up (non gopro)

Txdano can you comment on the following:

Can you compare the ability to hold and grip, the weight and tray length of the L&M with flex arms to the ultralight with just handles? I am looking at the ultralight tray with two handles for GoPro which is apparently about 10", possibly shorter than the standard dual tray.
Would the Solas be positioned OK on the ultralight handles without using arms or would they need flex arms to allow wider positioning?

Thanks much!

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Txdano, which Solas do you have/recommend? I am contemplating dual Solas in 800 or 1200.

Ultralight. Besides the better ergonomics, I find the loud squeak when adjusting flex arms startles marine life.

Ultralight. Besides the better ergonomics, I find the loud squeak when adjusting flex arms startles marine life.

You can put loc-line arms on ultralight handles and 1/2" segments do not squeak, 3/4" do but you don't need them for sola

Whatever light is chosen you need at least 8-10" arm flexible or rigid otherwise the lights are too close and you end up with backscatter

Is the L&M sturdy enough to hold by the bottom of the flex arms? I'm still conflicted as the ultralight looks more solid to hold but L&M looks lighter and more compact.

The L&M tray is a great compact solution for the money. If you get one, get 2 of these handles as well Handle Hand Grip Camera SLR DSLR Stabilizer for LED Flashlite 1 4'' Black | eBay

The arms screw straight into the top of the handle, apart from making them longer to get them further apart like Interceptor said, you also get 2 rigid handles to hold onto. I put rubber mtb grips over mine as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom