Ears crackling on ascent.. According to DAN this is bad, very bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wineaux

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've noticed that when I ascend I hear crackling.... the best way to describe it is that it sounds like Rice Krispies. I thought it was just the pressurized air lessening/coming out. I have also noticed my ears felt a bit off, kinda plugged for a day or so after diving and tried equalizing which cleared it right up. (I had a similar feeling when I flew with a cold once and after a trip to urgent care where they pretty much cycled me through with a script for antibiotics and after another week of no change I tried equalizing and it cleared my ears so I figured it was worth a gentle try when my ears felt the same after diving.)

My point... I just got a newsletter from DAN with a quiz about ears/equalizing and one of the questions was: If you surface with a feeling of fullness in your ears or hear crackling sounds, you should: and the answer was: Discontinue diving and Seek a medical evaluation with no other explanation what was going on! What the heck is wrong with my ears? I'm supposed to dive this weekend. :( I'd mentioned this around an instructor and a DM level friend and neither told me I was "going to die"! (ETA, they just said I was sensitive to my ears to feel the crackling and not to worry.)

My ears are super sensitive to pressure changes, always have been. I have to equalize constantly, even when at depth and going up or down a foot or so. I've always had popping/crackling noises (if I ascend too fast it sounds like a machine gun going off in my head) while ascending. It's normal for me.

I don't, however, surface with my ears feeling full unless I've had a difficult time equalizing and irritated my ears by not equalizing well or often enough. The full feeling to me indicates some kind of barotrauma. It's probably worth a call to DAN (you don't have to be a member to call) to talk to someone there and seek their advice as to whether you should see a Dr. or not worry about it.

If you post this in the dive medicine forum. you should get good replies.

Thanks for the replies! I'll post it in the dive medicine forum as well.

kmurray, I think I may be similar as you. I noticed the full feeling after the deep and boat dives in my AOW class, but not other dives. I'll be sure to equalize even more and after foot or so changes in depth this weekend and see how I feel. If I get the feeling again I'll give DAN a call (I am a member... signed up right after my OW class finished).

Reposting this from the basic discussion forum:

I've noticed that when I ascend I hear crackling.... the best way to describe it is that it sounds like Rice Krispies. I thought it was just the pressurized air lessening/coming out. I have also noticed my ears felt a bit off, kinda plugged for a day or so after diving and tried equalizing which cleared it right up. (I had a similar feeling when I flew with a cold once and after a trip to urgent care where they pretty much cycled me through with a script for antibiotics and after another week of no change I tried equalizing and it cleared my ears so I figured it was worth a gentle try when my ears felt the same after diving.)

My point... I just got a newsletter from DAN with a quiz about ears/equalizing and one of the questions was: If you surface with a feeling of fullness in your ears or hear crackling sounds, you should: and the answer was: Discontinue diving and Seek a medical evaluation with no other explanation what was going on! What the heck is wrong with my ears? I'm supposed to dive this weekend.
sad.gif
I'd mentioned this around an instructor and a DM level friend and neither told me I was "going to die"! (ETA, they just said I was sensitive to my ears to feel the crackling and not to worry.)

There's krackling and then there is krackling?

Some amount of equalization sound that may vary by individual and conditions is to be expected especially if the ascent is not ultra slow.

Some amount of muffled sound can be experienced especially if you are a free spirit diver doing barel rolls and head stands. Those gyrations work water deeper into the outer ear. Pointing an ear down while jumping up and down on one foot can have surprising results. Also this post dive day treatment is SOP for us. I'm not saying you have swimmers ear but the drying action is beneficial.

There is a phenomenon known as a reverse block but that makes for a painful halt of your ascent and you do not seem to be in that realm.

Unless you have pain, sustained loss of hearing or a better answer in the medical forum I'd write off to your unique personal experieince.

Pete

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I'm NOT offering medical advice or a medical opinion, just my situation. I have "crackling, screeching, whistling, ringing, cricket chirp" sounds in my ears all the time (tinnitus):rocker:. It is also present diving. I obviously have to equalize several times descending, but; don't require any effort on ascent. The constant sounds in my ears get a pulsing/Doppler effect on ascent but NO feeling difference during or after the dive. If it is just an "audible" effect without any physical discomfort, I just ignore it. Any pain or fullness feelings seems to me it would indicate a trauma of some kind as stated previously or an incomplete equalization on ascent. :)

Wineaux,

If it is just a painless "crackling" sound with equalization on ascent, with no pain or problems with equalization, then most likely it is just a harmless sound. If the crackling occurs with any discomfort, problems with equalization or fullness in ears, then it is a problem that does need to be addressed.

On a personal note, I can often hear a crackling sound whenever I equalize, even when I am not diving. I was recently cleared by ENT for unrelated issue so I know that despite this sound, my ears are in good shape.

Mine are always like that on ascent and they always feel a bit plugged after a dive trip. I have noticed slower descents and ascents do help.
My husband's are the same way. We've both been diving since mid-90s so lots of experience with it. He's an instructor and has over 5,000 dives, I probably have over 500.

Thanks everyone! I feel much better hearing other people have experienced the crackling. It is painless and the time i had the blocked feeling on the surface it went away with the equalization method.

Back
Top Bottom