QR Codes and Diver # on Cert Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not 100% sure who you are replying to, but in my limited experience filling out a manual log-book where we have to write down the diver# seems far more common than photo-copying. So having the short diver# vs the really long card# is quite important.

As for fake cards, I've been told by multiple people who live in Asia that they have seen fakes. The Chinese will forge anything, and if they save $10 per diver cert that doesn't go to the agency...

Sorry, i was replying to Crosshair's comment about counterfeit cards.

I made no assertions about the length of a c card number, only that the qr code appeared to be useless. If you want to verify an ssi c card, you can either dig out the phone, scan the qr code, put in the divers birthdate into the ssi website OR you can log into ssi's website, type in their name and birthdate. The QR code has no advantage that has been brought up or is apparent.

If you want a shorter certification number, use the last 6-8 digits of the card with the best photo. :)

The QR code is most helpful for Instructors and other Pro level members. Their teaching status can be quickly checked by scanning the code. The older stickers showed "current" for the year, but if that person's status was revoked, a student wouldn't have anyway to check without calling SSI.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom