Tiny Doubles...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just received mine!!!! Anybody have info on where to get an isolation crossbar?

I would not worry about changing out the cross over to one with an isolator. Reason being is that the chances of actually needing to isolate is slim and such sets are used mostly for recreational diving where aborting a dive is relatively simple.

That said you are going to be changing out the whole manifold as the one you have is face sealing and most other manifolds are barrel sealing. At the time if you do swap out the manifold you will probably want to change out the bands to these:

5.5 Inch Stainless Steel Cylinder Bands

Reason being is that the manifold listed here:

Modular Manifold Pro Type "190mm"

Is for 190mm center to center and the bands you have I bet are for 185mm. Now 5mm is only .2 inches and may not seem like much but it is enough to bind the center cross over when you tighten the bands up.

In my case I had a couple of thermo valves and just used a short thermo crossover:

Thermo 185MM (short) manifold cross bar [Val-TCNIN-s] - $56.00 : Tech Diving Limited, The Leading Source for Diving Equipment

You can also get bands for 215 mm spacing. Which will allow you to use a std. manifold with the 215mm spacing.

I dive double 100s, occasionally with an AL40 stage. The stage is not a big deal. However, if you don't "need" the stage to carry a deco gas that is different from your back gas--in other words, if you're carrying the stage simply for more air/nitrox that is the same as your back gas--then it is MUCH NICER to have all your gas on your back. In fact, it's a no-brainer, in terms of diving comfort and efficiency and safety. When slinging that stage, any trouble reaching into your left pocket? Clipping and unclipping your SPG (if you do that)? Does your wing power inflator ever get jumbling with your stage 1st stage/valve? When power finning, does your stage swing at all and knock against your body/leg between strides? Every had any trouble popping off your left fin when doing a shore exit in surf carrying your stage? And do be extra careful with that stage if you ever dive it in thick kelp, like we have here in CA. As far as cost, though, I suppose you could probably save a few bucks slinging a stage rather than putting together a doubles rig. You're right.

If you dont require redundency your wasting effort and money. The only upside to small doubles IMO is that it looks "cool"

Best tanks IMO ( my next buy )

DBG 8,5l breit Doppelgerät 232bar - Konkav - Artikeldetailansicht - TEC-DIVING Onlineshop - DER Onlineshop für Technisches Tauchen

fits like ''made to measure''

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have dove before with single 18lit ( big , tall guy) I have A LOT OF TROUBLES WITH IT

- trim
- swinging near coast
- opening /closing valves drill
- position on my back
- turning with head down........
- water resistance
- swimming backwards

PAINFULL ;-))
-

Last edited:
I am guessing you want the 190mm manifold instead of the standard 215mm:

Modular Manifold Pro Type "190mm"

I believe that Northeast Scuba Supply has had them. Call them if you can’t find them on their site.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com

Thanks Akimbo! Will call him Tomorrow. LDS sort of LOL

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 08:52 PM ----------

Thanks. Scared Silly I live 20 mins from OMS May have to pop in and see if they have and isolator just laying around. LOL I thought the same about isolation but why not, gotta break em down to hydro and o2 clean anyway.

Last edited:
Picked up a set of twin 7L fabers (55CF) for the wife to use as an intro to doubles set. Put it with a HOG 35# doubles wing I had sitting around. I'm slightly concerned that the wing is still a little wide but time will tell. Still need to clean them up obviously.

tiny-doubles.jpg

I am looking at getting a set of the faber 50's in doubles but for a few different reasons, I am a disabled diver being a high level quad, so I was looking at the low profile being easy for my dive partner to work around, also the would be more stable in the water and not roll as easy I always feel like I am rolling to my right. but last the volume is right for me to do two dives or a single with people using double 80's
to me they could be the perfect tanks, yes there is more cost with fills a vips an hydros but if at the end of the day if the diving is more enjoyable and comfortable then its worth every penny to me. I look at it like a drysuit sure I could dive in a wetsuit but I enjoy it a whole lot more in a drysuit

Here are my new set of Tiny Doubles.

Faber Low Pressure 50 Dubs mounted to a Poseidon Besea harness and W50 wing. There's also a Poseidon Besea stainless steel backplate for extra support.

2013-06-01 20.33.01.jpg

2013-06-01 20.32.23.jpg

2013-06-01 20.31.33.jpg

I've really been mulling over the idea of tiny doubles and am leaning to the Faber 50s. The info posted has been, informative... thanks to all that posted.

I have 2 old 1966 steel LP 50's 1800psi I use as ID's. Works great for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom