Aliwal Shoal shark dive- South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a condo rented in Amazimtoti. My wife's parents are staying with us and hanging out around the condo when we are diving. We are planning on diving with Meridian Dive on recommendations from one of my wife's friends from South Africa.
The dive shops are all recommending 5 mil wetsuits and I only have a 3 mil. Wondering if anyone else dives in a 3 mil or if I will be too cold?

The water temp was between 24 and 26 deg C. I used a scuba pro 4/5 mm suit but left my hoodie in the dive bag as it was to warm. I'm used to diving in 12 to 19 deg C so it was like bath water to us. Enjoy the dives and be sure to let me know how it went. Hope you have good weather.

Here is a short vid from Aliwal, shot in 2011. I had posted it under Production, but should have put it here in the first place.

Sorry for the cross-post.

[vimeo]27341383[/vimeo]

I did a similar shark dive at Aliwal with Blue Vision a while ago and I was totalled awed by these amazing creatures. Our DM was hand feeding some of the black-tips from the bait basket and got his several of his fingers slashed open for his troubles.

As much as I enjoyed the dive I must admit that I am not totally comfortable with the whole concept of a baited dive. I am in no way qualified to draw any conclusions nor have I conducted any research into the possible effects of this type of activity but to me it is a bit like feeding baboons in the wild. Needless to say I am glad that I had the opportunity to see these magnificient creatures up really close.

My comment was actually intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. It is nice to know there are still places you can even see sharks.

40 years ago we had sharks all over the place here off Catalina but today it is rare to see one.

Well. 45 is certainly better than 15, but I'd be pretty happy seeing 15. I only saw three Ragged Tooth Sharks (Sand Tigers) on my trip to Aliwal Shoal and I was pretty pleased with that. I'll have to add Taihiti to my wishlist, though.

Nice pics.

Back
Top Bottom