Black skirt mask owners, quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the Hog "Tech" Mask for these reasons. Low volume, black shirt, insanely easy to adjust mask strap. That last one is way better then other masks I've owned and it's great for the kids in the pool. They don't bug me anymore asking for help.

That and the fact they were < $20 on Black Friday made it a no brainer....

Chrpai, I agree. I bought one of these as a backup mask. I figured for $20 I could justify buying it online without ever having tried it on. It quickly became my primary mask, as I prefer it over my other one for the same reasons that you listed.

Black skirt mask here for the same reason as other...no random light flashes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

When you go to the movies, they turn down the house light for a reason. It makes the colors on the screen brighter and keeps your focus forward. Same with a black skirt.
I have clear mask also, they are not clear. They let just enough light through to be distracting at times (mostly near the surface), not enough to be useful.
Overall not a huge difference, but it is there.

A bigger difference is low volume vs traditional designs. The low volume mask tend to have the lens closer to your eyes, this increases the usable view area using the same size lens because the angles change. The increased view area through the clear lens is really nice. If you can get a low volume mask that fits your face you will be a happy camper.

I love the Hog "Tech" Mask for these reasons. Low volume, black shirt, insanely easy to adjust mask strap. That last one is way better then other masks I've owned and it's great for the kids in the pool. They don't bug me anymore asking for help.

That and the fact they were < $20 on Black Friday made it a no brainer....

Agreed. I bought one for a backup and it's now my favorite.

They still make masks with clear skirts??
:)

Ron

Thanks again everyone.
I've come to two conclusions.
1. I'll be keeping the mask
2. I'll be purchasing a HOG tech as well!

Slight change of topic....

I have had students go through most of the masks on a shop wall before finding one that truly fit them. I once ordered a new model mask without trying it on because I could get a great price on it. I gave it to my son after I got it and realized it didn't fit well.

How do you folks who purchase masks online know it fits you? Do you spend an hour or so in a shop picking out exactly what you want and then search for the best online price?

I started with clear then I won a mask with a black skirt in a raffle. I had heard black was better for photography but I too was worried about the tunnel vision thing. After my first dive I was hooked. Less glare and it was better for taking pictures. Never noticed the tunnel vision thing. I do keep the clear mask as a spare and though I've never needed it some of my dive buddies have.

How do you folks who purchase masks online know it fits you? Do you spend an hour or so in a shop picking out exactly what you want and then search for the best online price?

Easy. Originally ordered a few from LeisurePro then returned the ones that did not fit.

Back
Top Bottom