Real fat guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you decide to go with a BC, the Oceanic Probe comes in XXL. I am 290 and it is almost too large for me.

I have an Oceanic XXL BC also and it fit me well enough when I was around 275lbs, but surface trim was a challenge. Then I went to the DiveRite TransPlate, a Aluminum BP/W and a delux harness (quick release buckles on the shoulder straps). I also got the 32 lbs weight pockets that attach to the waist belt. I loved this set-up. I was able to adjust my center of gravity so much better than my BC that now I can stay on the surface in a nice up-right position and not have to fight my face forward aspect that my BC presented. Now two major events have occurred: 1) I have lost over 50 lbs and it is still coming off and 2) I have a strong desire to progress to a Hogathain configuration Stainless Steel BP/W. I still have my BC but rarely use it as it is just about out of adjustments smaller. My DiveRite Transplate is my primary buoyancy device, but will become my travel rig just as soon as I get a Stainless Steel BP/W with basic web harness. For weights I will balance my back plate more and use a harness weight belt since I still have not found my hips yet :)

I have a brother who is a very big guy, who's weight fluxs between 325 & 280 lbs, and for him the BP/W was the best option, in both fit and cost.

Good luck with your search...

~Oldbear~

I'm having the same surface issue with my BC...forced into face-forward. Thanks for that post! :)

I'm having the same surface issue with my BC...forced into face-forward. Thanks for that post! :)

For me it was albout transferring my weight to the appropriate location and thus adjusting my weight closer to my center of gravity (COG) which for me was more to my rear. With my weight intregrated BDC my weight pockets were more forward (too far forward) of my COG and with a back infate system, it just push my face downward. When I went to my BP/W with weight pockets, I was able to position my weight pockets closer to my back. This balanced me out much better as I was more vertically stable on the surface. Now I am experimenting with tank strap weights and removing more weight from my waist. I also learned that I do not need to 100% inflate my BC on the surface; add just enough air to maintain my surface buoyancy. There are some good to great classes on Trim and Buoyancy that can assist you personally as oppose to buying new gear. The BP/W just worked for me on so many levels, not just surface buoyancy, as it has for many others.

I had the opposite problem as soon as we hit the pool...switched to a weight integrated BC and it improved tenfold. I guess we are all built a bit differently... :)

Improper weighting and over inflation of the wing that results is most often the cause of face forward problems in ANY back inflate type BC. And there are more than a few shops and instructors that don't know how to address this or choose not to.

I switched to a backplate and wing also after i could not find a bc that would fit me properly. I ended up being in between sizes in relation to weight and height. I also purchased my entire set some used some new or under 300 which was cheeper than a lot of bcds

The backplate & wing can grow with you or shrink with you! This way if you lose/gain weight, you dont have to buy a new rig.... It will adapt to pretty much any type of diving you wanna do! If i was you... (im a big guy too and work with alot of big boys) I would get a stainless steel backplate to help with weighting and if you gonna buy a tank and are diving a single tank rig, go ahead and invest in a steel lp95. Heck, l like my lp121. I can swim it up with no problem and for us big guys, its really not that heavy... I know some will disagree :wink: but if we all agreed this fourm wouldn't be any fun or educational... The steel tank will also help with weighting....Then what you have to put on your weight belt is reduced.. I dive a lp121 and with a 3mm wetsuit i have to use 4lbs to be weight right in salt.... A lot of people will say doing this will increase the weight of the rig.... however you do, it will weigh the near same. The weight is gonna have to be somewhere.... Check out Hog gear.. i love mine and the cost will be significantly less...

Last edited:
This thread could not have explained my situation any more closely (although i am a little shorter). I just bought the setup shown (from leisure pro also), as I am am also a real fat guy. I have had a sherwood avis BCD for about two years now and while I was happy with everything, it never really felt that comfortable, it would shift and tend to move up under water. I checked this out thoroughly before placing the order and there are cheaper options, but once I added everything up, the difference was not all that much and the convenience of knowing everything is together made my decision for me. Whatever you go for, it is my understanding, for guys are size, its very important to get the stainless steel plate vs the lighter aluminum or travel plate as it adds about 3kg of weight. Now I am trying to figure out how much weight I need to add on the weight belt. I currently weight about 265lbs, 5'8", i typically never dive with a wetsuit (most of my diving is in southeast asia). With the jacket bcd, I used to use 7kg (but I was about 20lbs heavier), but from what i have read switching to a bp/w, will instantly save a kg or two as its far less buoyant (less material), the backplate should save about 3kg, the single tank adapter another 1kg. Im thinking of starting out with an extra 3kg around my waste (thinking it will be on the heavy side) and see how it goes, any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom