Pensacola Lionfish are out of Control!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frighteningly high numbers on the 'islands' of structure on the sand bed. Good job removing so many. If it were me, I'd nail'em and drop'em; stuffing them in a bag seems like a sting risk.

But this video raises a new concern for me. I've historically seen the lionfish danger assumed to revolve around them eating large numbers of small native creatures. But in a habitat like where this video was shot, where most of the ocean floor is a sand bed with occasionally structures like hunk of rock of wreckage, does the habitat become dangerous to other large predators?

In other words, let's say you're a grouper, too big for lionfish to eat, but you want to hang around a structure instead of being a 'sitting duck' for sharks, barracuda & such in open water. But large numbers of lionfish cover the area structures so you can't stick by one without getting stung.

Does this constitute a habitat loss for groupers & other such predators?

Richard.

You needed a vacuum cleaner to suck up all those lion fish. Unreal!

Thank heavens that there are people who are helping to solve the lionfish plague. Lionfish are now established in Caribbean and Atlantic oceans. There is nothing we can do now except to fight to save this planet from total extinction. We may not survive the lionfish invasion but at least we will die fighting!

Holy crap that is a haul of lionfish. Many places and people are dining on LF.....were you at least able to enjoy your catch? Good job on wiping out that many on one dive.

Dr Dive sez: Let me know if I can help you clean up any of those sites.

What is a private reef?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom