left or right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kokeldil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Guys, just a general question, it´s not about "I am travelling here or there by that time of the year and need advice" or something. Call it poll if you like, it´s a simple gathering of opinions and preferrences of all fellow divers who know both regions of the earth but clearly favour the one over the other.

1.) Carribean or Phillippines?
2.) Why? (why do YOU prefer the one over the other?)
3.) If the answer on question 1.) is the Carribean, then would you rather go to Tobago or Bonaire?
4.) Why? (related to question #3)

Thanks in advance.

On a sidenote; I don´t mean to stir discussion about different tastes and I am well aware that both regions are nice ones for diving. As said above - it´s just meant to be a general poll and the varaious reasons for possible preferrence.

Caribbean. Because of flight time & cost. Tobago (I think - I'd have to research it). Because I've been to Bonaire (going again this November) and haven't been to Tobago.

1.) Caribbean
2.) It's WAY closer than the Philippines to the Northeast US. My wife would likely die of starvation in the Philippines. she's as picky an eater as they come and if it comes from the sea - but isn't found in a can of tuna - she won't eat it.
3.) Bonaire
4.) I like shore diving, and have been here yet. I'm sure I'd enjoy Tobago as well, but I already have a "boat diving" based vacation this summer so the next dive trip will likely have more shore diving as a goal.

Guys, just a general question, it´s not about "I am travelling here or there by that time of the year and need advice" or something. Call it poll if you like, it´s a simple gathering of opinions and preferrences of all fellow divers who know both regions of the earth but clearly favour the one over the other.

My preference is obvious... I moved where the best diving was :wink:

2.) Why? (why do YOU prefer the one over the other?)

Philippines-Indonesia-Malaysia. The 'Golden Triangle' of marine biodiversity. Species of fish, corals etc measured by 0000's not 00's. Pelagics everywhere... muck diving (just try asking about where to do that in the carib...)

Wrecks - lots of wrecks... wonderful, historic, tragic, monumental wrecks... :wink:

My wife would likely die of starvation in the Philippines. she's as picky an eater as they come and if it comes from the sea - but isn't found in a can of tuna - she won't eat it.

Philippines is a former Spanish and American colony. That has it's effect on the dietary habits :wink:

Just Google 'Lechon' and quit worrying about a seafood diet...

Info on foods and all other stuff Philippines travel here: Philippines Travel Advice | Scuba Diving | Holiday Information

2.) It's WAY closer than the Philippines to the Northeast US.

For some, the idea of travelling is to travel.... not stay as close to home as possible
:cool2:

In Philippines now for 2 months. First time I went diving in Western Pacific was the last time I went to the Caribbean, or even cared to go. Mu. ch more to see, 10 times the number of species. Also consider Indonesia. You will find diving cheaper than Caribbean and stronger focus on service. In Philippines, I like Anilao, Puerto Galera, Apo Island [not Reef]. For indonesia, Tulamben area, Lembeh Strait, Bunaken, Ambon. If you have the money, Wakatobi is great.

I am interested only in macro photography, but you can find most other things as well, thought sharks tend to be quite scarce. Fiji will have more, and Solomons, with special bonus of saltwater crocs.

2.) It's WAY closer than the Philippines to the Northeast US.

For some, the idea of travelling is to travel.... not stay as close to home as possible
:cool2:

And for some, the idea of going on vacation is to be on vacation ... not spend half of it in transit :cool2: (at least for those who can't yet take more than 7-10 days of vacation at a time). I envy those who enjoy sitting on a plane or in an airport before and between planes for many hours, but I am not one of them.

I have to agree with some of the others....
Caribbean and Bonaire... shore diving is fabulous, 24/7 grab a tank and walk into the water. Reefs are as close as 30' from shore, very little current except at southern or northern points. Good air consumption means you can stay down a long, long time and have complete independence.
There isn't alot of BIG fishlife there, just schools and schools of fish, some tarpon, etc. If you want to see things like turtles and sharks every day, then I would go to Cozumel.

IMHO, Overall... in the CAribbean arena.... Cozumel is the BEST all around dive destination. Best variety of types of dive sites, types of fish, deep and shallow dives, etc.

Back
Top Bottom