long hose primary, but how long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab1412000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
greetings.
i am thinking of transforming my gear to a more dir like setup, but only meant for recreational tropical diving.
i plan on using a long hose on my primary second stage. i am 5'10, 175 lbs, medium built. i only use single tanks. would the standard 5 foot hose be enough length for me?
tia

A 5ft hose is often recommended for OW and 7ft for cave diving. Those who use 7ft hose will usually use in all types diving tech or rec. Many who use a long hose and bungeed backup seem to use a 7ft primary. Some people find the 5ft too short. I tried a 5ft hose but never really felt it. I now use a 44" primary with a 90 degree adaptor, I like it. The only way to be sure if you like it etc is to try it, at around $25 for the hose it wouldn't be a super costly experiment.

I am using a padded oms iq pack (no backplate) with a single tank adapter and a 30 pound wing.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away

I am a recreational and switched to a 5 foot house and feel that it is just about right. I wouldn't want a 7.

I was just about to post a related question, so if I may inject it into this thread: How is a 5-foot hose generally routed? I've found plenty of instructions and pics of 7-foot hoses, but nothing for 5-foot.

The five foot is routed under your right armpit instead of under your canister light / shears. Rest is the same.

I'm 6'0 240lb and a 7' under my shears (canister light just ordered) works just fine for me. I don't feel like I'm over doing it. I think you'll be fine whichever you choose.

A five foot should be fine for your build. What type of BC are you using?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm about 5.8 and the 5ft hose felt short seemed like a 6ft would have been ideal. I'm going to pull my 5ft out again and give it another shot.

Would a 5-foot hose that's tucked under my arm tend to flop out, especially if I stretch my arm out at some point in a dive? I'd really like to see pics of someone using a 5-foot hose. Seven feet seems like it might be overkill and bothersome for rec diving, but it does seem to have a tried-and-true method for stowing it securely.

Would a 5-foot hose that's tucked under my arm tend to flop out, especially if I stretch my arm out at some point in a dive? I'd really like to see pics of someone using a 5-foot hose. Seven feet seems like it might be overkill and bothersome for rec diving, but it does seem to have a tried-and-true method for stowing it securely.

I never experienced that. It's not tucked so much as routed. Moving your arm does not affect the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom