BCD and D-ring attachment points - where to attach digital camera housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new BCD. I also have a Panasonic FT4 camera and housing, which I will attached to a BCD d-ring with a retractable lanyard.

Where do most people using a lanyard attach the camera housing to the BCD? Shoulder d-ring, or bottom of rib-cage d-ring? The reason for asking is that one BCD I'm looking at has no shoulder d-rings, only 2 lower rib-cage d-rings. I'm under the impression that most people attach the camera housing to one of their shoulder d-rings.

What are the pro's/cons with using the shoulder d-ring with the camera housing, or instead using a lower-down d-ring? Any issues with the housing bumping into things/catching on your gear/dragging on the ocean floor etc? Which is the better BCD location to attach to?

Thanks!

Kia Ora. I have a bolt snap attached to my camera housing and can clip off to a shoulder D ring, have never encountered any issues doing so. If you are diving in trim, i.e horizontally having the camera on either D ring can cause it to hit/drag on something if you are swimming too close to the bottom etc. so care needs to be taken. Generally my camera is in my hand for the duration of the dive so this is rarely something I personally have to consider. Good luck.

I attach my camera to a snappy coil fixed to a chest level d ring on my right strap.
I use the right side to keep it away from the inflator hose on the left. I like it at chest level so I can easily unsnap it when need be, eg boarding the boat post dive. For the most part, the camera are in my hands with the snappy coil elongated. I snap the coil when I need to use both hands ie deploying a balloon (caution should be taken not to entangle the camera with the balloon).
I also use a Panasonic (zs3),and this method is only applicable to cameras with smallish housings.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away

I have Zeagle Express tech and attach camera to d ring on right waist strap with snappy coil. Camera is Sealife 1400 and it floats so if attached to right side shoulder d ring it is all in your face when you are not holding it. When attached on waist it kind of floats to the side when during the rare time it is not in my hand. I am still new underwater photo but first time I attached to right shoulder and did not realize it was bouyant......really big surprize when it nearly knocked my mask off:D. Learn on every dive

I use the scooter ring on my bp/w. N

GoPro on an L-Bracket or Stick. I attach mine to my left shoulder strap.

Right shoulder D-ring on a snappy coil. I do mostly shore diving and this keeps it higher for entry/exit. Left shoulder has BC inflator and Pony.

I'm rethinking how I want the camera (soon to be cameraS) attached. On my last dive my long hose primary 2nd didn't want to unstow easily before the descent and when it did my camera (attached to the same D-ring) was missing. After a few heart stopping moments I figured the camera (GoPro tray and lights) was directly below me in the 3' high field of Palm Kelp. Fortunately, my guess was right AND was able to spot the rig among the kelp - but it is making me reconsider either the location or the clip type.

Right shoulder D-ring on a snappy coil. I do mostly shore diving and this keeps it higher for entry/exit. Left shoulder has BC inflator and Pony.

I'm rethinking how I want the camera (soon to be cameraS) attached. On my last dive my long hose primary 2nd didn't want to unstow easily before the descent and when it did my camera (attached to the same D-ring) was missing. After a few heart stopping moments I figured the camera (GoPro tray and lights) was directly below me in the 3' high field of Palm Kelp. Fortunately, my guess was right AND was able to spot the rig among the kelp - but it is making me reconsider either the location or the clip type.

So you accidentally unclipped the snappy coil?

mines attached to my right shoulder D ring on a snappy coil lanyard.
The reason why thats the one I chose? Its closer to my hands than if I use the lower D-rings, it cross over less of my equipment and my inflator is on the left shoulder strap..

So you accidentally unclipped the snappy coil?

Yep. Snappy coil clips to my D-ring with a bolt snap. I got rid of the pesky plastic clip that came with it. And yes, the regulator and camera bolt snap are the same design. Oops....

I long ago figured out how to quit feeding the river gods, now I'm working on not feeding the ocean gods... To that end everything is securely clipped and then stowed.

Right shoulder D-rings holds (on the swim out)
  1. Primary 2nd stage regulator
  2. Can light head
  3. Camera
  4. Back up light (stowed in elastic on strap)
They are all similar bolt snaps. The only item that doesn't have a secondary connection is the camera. (reg - hose, light - cable, back up light - stowed)

No room on the Left shoulder D-ring:
  1. BC inflator is in the same area
  2. SPG (bolt snapped)
  3. Knife (bolt snapped then stowed in elastic sheath)
  4. Pony (again close - and tether is bolt snapped to this ring)

What I might do is for the swim out have a fastex buckle that secures the bottom the the camera tray to my waist strap. Might keep everything more streamlined for entry/exit and swims. If I put the fastex on the right waist strap I can still exit the harness without unbuckling anything but harness straps. Now if I just put a fastex on the lens cap too....

Back
Top Bottom