Can you drink while underwater? Like bottle water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you want to, other than to say you did?

Staying hydrated is very important when diving. Sometimes tech dives require extended periods of time underwater where this comes into play.

Staying hydrated is very important when diving. Sometimes tech dives require extended periods of time underwater where this comes into play.
Yeah, and even Recreational divers should work at hydration. Few divers get thirsty if they drink a quart of something shortly before going in. New divers often don't drink enough and the dry tank air gets to them; easily fixed drinking more usually.

Don- you got that right.

The sensation of mouth dryness (thirsty) is a late stage symptom of dehydration that has gone well along its course un-checked.

Tech diving and their long term bottom time needs aside, common recreational divers often fret about dry mouth and thirstiness while diving.

If you have these sensations during a 60 minute BT dive- you are already dehydrated.

Drink, drink, drink- have a bottle of water at your gear-up station, slug it down before and after your dive.

If you're diving and you aren't peeing, you're dehydrated.

Geesh, you must never get cold in that wetsuit either... Cant go an hour without a drink. :blinking:

What wetsuit? Were we talking about wet suits?

If the dive is an hour or less, you are right, it's no big deal. OTOH, dives of two hours or more are not all that uncommon for me.

Speaking of wet suits, I wish I had worn mine today. I had to call the dive after 90 minutes.

I have never thought about drinking water during a dive, but to stop selling an item because of the few wreckless divers drinking alcohol during a diver is sad for the makers of the product.

Don- you got that right.

The sensation of mouth dryness (thirsty) is a late stage symptom of dehydration that has gone well along its course un-checked.

Tech diving and their long term bottom time needs aside, common recreational divers often fret about dry mouth and thirstiness while diving.

If you have these sensations during a 60 minute BT dive- you are already dehydrated.

Drink, drink, drink- have a bottle of water at your gear-up station, slug it down before and after your dive.

If you're diving and you aren't peeing, you're dehydrated.
Yeah, my bud & I work at hydration and fully expect to be washing the results from our wetsuits - one of the reasons I never go barefoot on a boat, even if it may be a liveaboard's tradition. I just politely explain that I'm not. We spray a special urine remover on the inside of our suits to help clean: Cat Urine Stain & Odor Remover - 16 oz. | Stain & Odor Removers | Cleaning Products | Cat - ThatPetPlace.com
P21285.jpg

16 oz - $4​
I have never thought about drinking water during a dive, but to stop selling an item because of the few wreckless divers drinking alcohol during a diver is sad for the makers of the product.
I question if that was the reason? I suspect that most divers find it rather easy to go for an hour or more dive without thirst greatly reducing demand. Like the man said above: "Drink, drink, drink- have a bottle of water at your gear-up station, slug it down before and after your dive."
I'm with Walter, I get thursty too. I use a quart Camelback under the BC.
And there's the exceptional divers. Some like you and Walter get much more time from a tank than most of us.

I'm looking for the same solution. I like to think I do drink a lot of water during my dive day however, my throat still gets so sore and burns from the dry tank air. If I could only find a way to shoot some fresh water in my mouth to moisten my throat that would be great. My dive buddy drinks from a small water bottle he keeps in his BC pocket. I'm thinking of something that would more or less spray into my mouth. Or perhaps a collapsable bag of water with a straw.
I would think I'm not the only one with this issue. I typically get this on my 2nd dive and especially my 3rd dive of the day.

Staying hydrated is very important when diving.
Yep, that must have been exactly what was going on in these guys' heads:

[video=youtube;w3FXfLi2utc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3FXfLi2utc[/video]

Why would you want to, other than to say you did?

Because sometimes, a dive is long enough to require underwater nourishment.

There are technical divers who may be underwater for nearly a day for deco obligations. Not to mention there are endurance divers who go for days just for the world record.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom