Weighting for self-rescue.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow.

A lot of great information coming in.

I am going to try to address it all now.

Somebody asked about my current setup.

I had an old Buddy BCD which I got in 2000 (ish) - I actually learned with a horseshoe - but when I decided to do more UK diving I got a load of second hand stuff for evaluation.

I bought a Backplate and wing and fitted my old Atomics SS1 to it, I actually quite like that but I'm not militant about it.
I tried a 7mm semi-dry (absolutely hated that, restricted my movement too much).
I tried a 5mm with a 5mm shorty on top (hated that too).
I got a used trilam drysuit for £35 to do the course in and see if I liked it.
I get on OK with the dry suit but like I said, I am still learning to sort my buoyancy in it.

I have deliberately avoided using ankle weights even though my fins are slightly +ve, quite right W Ripley, I always saw them as a kit solution to a training/experience problem.

Having now done a few dives dry (mostly dry, my zip leaks) I have taken the plunge and ordered a White's Fusion drysuit.
I also ordered the Thermal fusion undersuit after a local diver kindly let me use his and it laughed in the face of my conventional undersuit.

I have read about the "balanced rig" and I can swim up my current kit without dropping any weight, however currently all my weight is on my backplate and in my Custom Diver's quick release weight pouches.
The problem is that if I took off the wing to detangle myself I'd shoot up.

Now the answer to my question is different depending on whether I go back or side mounted.

If I go back mounted I will get a low profile harness to wear under the wing and weight it with just enough weight to be neutral in a squeezed dry suit.
The rest of my weight can go on the backplate.

If I go side mount then I will have to come up with something else.

Johanan - than you for the links.

I will look into that, I'm not sure I'll be able to do a course this holiday since I have just paid for a new dry suit :) but if I can and the long-haired colonel allows it (her holiday too) I will definitely give it a chance.

I understand what you said about the sidemount course making you a better solo diver but there are few enough places one can solo dive here and almost all that I have heard about require certification so I will eventually have to do the SDI course regardless.

Devon diver, thank you for all the input, especially the photos. Your rig looks really clean - something to aspire to.

I think what I'll do is go on holiday, come home, do another couple of dozen dives to get happy in the dry suit and see about a sidemount course, preferably one where I can use the instructor's kit.
Try out a few different configurations (if possible) and see how I feel.

I can see in my head exactly how my ideal twin independent backmount rig would look, until I can do the same with sidemount I am not in a position to choose.

Hopefully I can have my mind made up in time for Scapa next year.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Yesterday my new drysuit arrived.

White's Fusion Sport with the silicone seal system, I love the suit, the comfort and flexibility is awesome.

So, I put on my thick undersuit and the new drysuit and got myself nicely neutral in the pool with 50 Bar in a 12l steel.

I then got out, ripped off all the layers, lay on my back panting from heat exhaustion for a while and then lowered my whole scuba unit into the water and measured the weight of it submerged in the pool.
it is 10.5 to 11Kg negative.

Oddly, it had 10 Kg of lead on it.
By deduction it would seem my cylinder is pretty close to neutral when it is empty.

So, to be able to strip out of my equipment under water I need 10Kg on me and anything else on the gear, whether I side mount or not.
Next project is arranging a comfortable way to do that.

Been reading a lot more about side mounting for solo diving and it is looking more and more appealing,

I have had thoughts about weighing for self rescue just like you.

I could move more weight onto my belt so that I can removed my kit underwater, but it throws off my trim.

So I leave the weight on the back plate and have vowed not to get into situations where I might become entangled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom