Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There just is no reliable "downwind". Whats downwind at one moment is upwind the next when you're at sea. Pendling I see people trying to stand "downwind" all the time at bus stops and train stations. They're wind tunnels, circulating air. Half the smokers dont even think about wind they just walk away a bit in some direction, apparently reasoning that smoke will rise straight into the air or just waft away. That is unless they are the first to arrive, in which case there will always be one person hogging the shelter if it rains, the shade if its too warm and that sunny places when its cold.

The only question is: Do you feel like you should make real considerations for non-smokers or not.

My personal view is that given the nature of smoke its just a very hard position to really defend from a point of view of reason. People farting or smelling of sweat may mostly be termed accidental, and (mostly ;o) not a health issue. I'm not arguing that such logic should always run our lives but smoker/non-smoker are not relativistically equal positions in that regard. Just something to consider as we progress in our negotiations of personal space.

To me, actually the health issue is a minor concern and I have no moral qualms whatsoever about the whole thing. It just very literally sickening to me to be exposed to the smell and feel of tobacco smoke, as I have been for most of my life, without ever letting smokers know how radically it affected me - that was some forced adaptation if you wanted to be part of social or professional life. Its just so people know what they're asking when they say "Mind if I smoke" - or just go ahead with a few symbolic "precautions" topped off a spread of after-rationalization.

Smoke away if you must - I would usually not be inclined to say anything, but lets be real about what it entails is all.

I'm an ex smoker. When I did smoke, I'd smoke on the day boats too, but I'd stay on the topdeck/aft/designated area, and I'd put the butts in designated trashcans.

I hate the smell now, but those of you who are offended that someone may be smoking on the same boat as you, even if they're doing it in the designated area, you're just revelling in socially acceptable biggotry.

PS: My SAC was if anything better when I smoked than it is now.

When I owned a boat my policy was, "If you're smoking on my boat you had better be on fire."

Sent via Tapatalk+Autocorrupt

I must say I have been only considering those who smoke at the stern while the boat is motoring. But I do recall the diagram way back in the thread that says the smoke can go forward even on a fast moving boat. Still find this hard to believe, but I guess that can happen. I would think that if a breeze has been very constant even on a stopped boat, it would PROBABLY not change all of a sudden. I'm sure there are swirling wind days and rare abrupt direction changes (it would seem chances of the latter are miniscual though).

I see no point in defending myself against your standard application of tired cliches. I have nothing on the smokers, which you'd notice if you properly read my post, I just dont like the smoke, and no amount of "designated" is really gonna change that is it now? Like I said, smoke away, but own what it entails instead of hiding behind rationalizations that dont hold up in practise. The only biggotry here is what you applied to make me into something I'm not, so you could have your little speech.

Note that the vast majority of smoking divers if politely asked not to smoke, wouldn't, if you're allergic, bring it up with the dive OP, and most likely the person in charge will include that in the boat briefing, and you won't see a single person smoking. I see far more of the self-righteous self-appointed smoking police being complete pricks about it than I do the smokers.

Am I the only one that finds it interesting that this has devolved into a skirmish between someone from Sweden (kaerius) and someone from Denmark (santa)?

I agree in the western part of the usually you can speak to people about these things, but this is only because the norms have been challenged and attitudes changed. The first half of my life that was certainly not the case, and the majority of smokers would smoke whenever and whereever they pleased. In cars, trains, busses, planes, at work, in meetings, in school during class, during dinner, at restaurants and social gatherings. While I'm as sick of the holier than thou attitude of many non-smokers these days as the next guy I find it a little hard to truly sympathize with smokers plight as persecuted victims, because back when dinosaurs ruled the world, they didnt give a hoot how anyone else felt about it - and I kept civil about it. Still do. But the existence of non-smoking prunes does not change the core issue.

I agree in the western part of the usually you can speak to people about these things, but this is only because the norms have been challenged and attitudes changed. The first half of my life that was certainly not the case, and the majority of smokers would smoke whenever and whereever they pleased. In cars, trains, busses, planes, at work, in meetings, in school during class, during dinner, at restaurants and social gatherings. While I'm as sick of the holier than thou attitude of many non-smokers these days as the next guy I find it a little hard to truly sympathize with smokers plight as persecuted victims, because back when dinosaurs ruled the world, they didnt give a hoot how anyone else felt about it - and I kept civil about it. Still do. But the existence of non-smoking prunes does not change the core issue.

I admire you for being civil back then, and you certainly had a right not to be. If more would be civil on both sides that would be great. Back in the thread the fact that there were very few complaints back then about all the smoking everywhere (and no laws) was discussed. I know it was a different cultural thing back then, but I still find this curious. It's also odd to me that with all the smoking resctrictions today there seem to be way more complaints.

Back
Top Bottom