Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have absolutely zero respect for smokers, period. They aren't just a hazard to their own health, but their secondhand crap is a hazard to mine. It's not ok for me to piss in their drinks, so why is it ok for them to pollute the air I breathe?

Actually smokers are humans as well. I am sure if u tell the captain and the others divers your condition. . Am sure they be glad to smoke only after they have haboured and are away from u

Its true most smokers are pretty considerate these days. Sadly in most situations it only takes one or two people who are not, for that not to matter so much - and those guys can always be counted upon to be around. Negotiating these things is met with very different attitudes by different people and the solutions, short of not smoking at all are rarely perfect.

After 41 years of mostly having to silently put up with smoke, and as the social situation changed, being met with the attitude that non-smokers who voice their true feelings are most likely overzealous hypersensitive holier-than-thou baying sheep to boot, maybe you can understand that one just gets a little fed up having to deal with the issue over and over - and always having to ask strangers, who went ahead regardless with some windy excuse - hey everybody, lets just not do this.

In Spain, last week, there was only two of us not smoking on the boat! It doesn't bother me...

Wow... that is pretty much all I can say...!!! Its seems to me that some to many of you guys are going off the deep end when it comes to smoking...

Yep, I picked up the habit again much to my wife's chagrin... With that being said; I believe I am overly courtesy when it comes to smoking as in, I walk away from everyone... My nephew calls me the "creepy uncle" (in fun) because he will find me standing outside in various places having a smoke... I go way out of my way to ensure I do not infringe on others... Neither could I ever understand a smoking/non-smoking restaurant with no division between the two... kind of like peeing in the pool...

But I will be damned if I am on a 3.5 hr boat trip (one way) to the ledges on a (I don't know, maybe 65'-70' boat that is only partially covered) that allows smoking if I am going to get all worked up over you being p!ssed because I am at the rear of the boat having a smoke...! Funny thing... before I started smoking again (yep, non-smoker) and I saw those smoking at the rear of the boat.... I NEVER gave it a thought...!!!

Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it...!!!
No disrespect intended to many on here but to the others... :pityparty:

If people would just follow some simple rules of common sense and courtesy toward others, nanny state wouldn't be either needed or even desireable. It's when people use "well, it's legal" to infringe on others that it becomes necessary to pass or change laws that make it not legal.

Smelling smoke isn't the issue, although to a non-smoker it generally smells disgusting. The issue is that, as a diver, I do not wish to breathe your toxic exhaust ... nor should I be forced to.

When a smoker is respectful enough to show consideration, they get respect from me in return ... because I want them to retain their right to make lifestyle choices. Likewise, I want to be able to retain mine.

And let's remember that cigarette butts are litter. Tossing them in the water, or crushing them on deck is littering. Yet I can't even count the number of times I've seen people do both without a second thought. When you're done with your smoke, kindly dispose of the butt by extinguishing and placing in an appropriate waste receptacle. I and the marine life we're all paying good money to go look at will thank you for it

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Have you ever glanced down at the pavement while stopped at a traffic light/stopsign? Smokers will not use their ashtrays and throw their cigg butts out. Out on the pavement making a God awful mess. And away from town start fires.....every year, there's brush fires along I-95 from south of Daytona to Cocoa that are attributed to 'lightning strikes'...yeah right. Why do these otherwise clean people trash the cities and country side? Answer: They don't care

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A large number of posts have been deleted which are unnecessarily rude (see special rules for this forum) or are responding to such. Please keep your posts polite and respectful as per the special rules of this forum.

In the UK and Australia there's probably a legal obligation not to smoke on a charter as it is a place of work for the crew? that being said I've never seen any one smoke on one here in Aus anyway.

Seems to me that smokers are all the people "we" love to hate. Everyday I see cars driving down the street dripping oil, or filling up the air with black smoke, yet I see nobody stopping those drivers to complain or see any signs anywhere about not polluting my air... Our society seems to pick and choose what is socially acceptable behavior and what is not based on reach!

As an ex-smoker I feel sorry for all smokers for two reasons: one that they have to endure social wrath to maintain their habit, two that they acquired a habit is so nasty to kick that you have to stick listening to all these complaints around you ;-)

For some reason I feel compelled to point out that there is a logical fallacy called tu quoque, the title of which is a Latin phrase that means "You, too." It is sometimes called the appeal to hypocrisy. It is an argument that says that the opponent's position on Issue A is not valid because the opponent has failed to take a similar position on Issue B. It is a fallacy because it is nothing more than a distraction from the argument on Position A and has absolutely nothing to do with the opposing argument itself. It is often used to shift blame (and the entire argument) from the original to a different one. One of the most famous examples occurred during the Cold War. When the Soviet Union was accused of human rights abuses, the Soviet Union replied by pointing out the lynching of African Americans in the American south.

Reactions: dfx
For some reason I feel compelled to point out that there is a logical fallacy called tu quoque, the title of which is a Latin phrase that means "You, too." It is sometimes called the appeal to hypocrisy. It is an argument that says that the opponent's position on Issue A is not valid because the opponent has failed to take a similar position on Issue B. It is a fallacy because it is nothing more than a distraction from the argument on Position A and has absolutely nothing to do with the opposing argument itself. It is often used to shift blame (and the entire argument) from the original to a different one. One of the most famous examples occurred during the Cold War. When the Soviet Union was accused of human rights abuses, the Soviet Union replied by pointing out the lynching of African Americans in the American south.

I understand your point but I am trying to point to double standards... What I pointed to was exactly social hypocrisy. We are over-reacting on minor issues while ignore more important ones which are just bigger and more difficult to deal with. I wish the problems of the world were a smoker on the sundeck ;-)

PS. Forgot to say how impressed I am by your choice of words and links to online references so that we common folks can enrich our vocabulary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom