Grand Cayman recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are going to Cobalt Coast the first week of April. This will be our first trip to Grand Cayman other than a cruise stop (pre dive certification !) - will never cruise again!!!
Everything we've researched has been very positive and can't wait to get there.

Brina- when are you going???

Always heard good things about Sunset House though I've never stayed there.

I've dove with Captain Marvin, and Tortuga Divers. Wasn't traveling alone, but I was the only diver. Both dive operations rated very good in my opinion. I'd have to say that so far my favorite Cayman experience is a night dive at Black Rock. Every time I've done that dive I got to see octopi.

I will be traveling some time in late July. The kids are all away at summer camp, and my husband, the non-diver, will have used up his vacation time. I am making it my own little tradition to get a bit of diving in during this time. Last summer I went to Roatan and stayed at Turquoise Bay. It was nice, but too quiet.

Reservations made - July 21-26 at Sunset House.

I had thought about Little Cayman - it is a dream, but didn't want to spend the extra time getting there on such a short trip.

I agree with the Cobalt Coast recommendation - two great shore dive sites, plus boat dives, the restaurant there is really good with some good variety, and a decent group of fellow divers to hang with, both at the bar and the pool.

I haven't visited ScubaBoard for a while, but I have been doing some searches here.

We (with wife and two early-20's kids, all divers) are planning our fourth annual scuba trip to Grand Cayman.

Specific question is, how and when were the Ocean View Rooms and Apartments at Sunset House renovated? Web site says they were "recently renovated," but that phrase may have been there for a decade already.

We're at the age when physical accommodation comforts do make a difference, though we still want to stay at a dive resort. We stayed at Sunset House in 2009, so we know what the diving is like. But the rooms, as a lot of people have observed, were definitely showing their age. Worst thing was that the A/C in the room wasn't working when we checked in -- they had to get a repairman in late in the evening to clean out the compressor on the roof, and then it was fine. But that might have been indicative of the maintenance situation overall.

The last two years we've stayed at Cobalt Coast. Accommodations were (we think) much nicer, but the location on the northeast coast is actually a negative for us... North Wall dive sites are spectacular; but wife gets monumentally seasick, and the calmer the water, the better... both for boat diving, and for shore diving.

So that, plus the fact that we haven't done the Kittiwake yet and Sunset Divers seem to have always had much better deals on that, makes us want to go back to Sunset House again. Plus our daughter wants to take an underwater photography course from Cathy Church.

Plus, no matter now long-in-the-tooth the rooms were, the beds at Sunset House were indeed comfortable.

A negative is, by my calculation, an Apartment with adjoining Ocean View Room at Sunset House would be about $500 more expensive for the week than a two-bedroom suite at Cobalt Coast.

So... what shape are the rooms in now at Sunset House?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom