Can wetsuits be hemmed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm not at the point where I'm buying my own equipment yet, but I am at the point where I'm excited about learning to dive and kind of obessessing about it- so I've started looking.

One thing I'm wondering about is a wetsuit. I'm thinking due to odd sizing it is so unlikely that a dive operator will have something in my size. I'm probably going to have to buy my own fairly quickly...

I have never in my life bought anything off the rack that wasn't too long. I'm 5'0", and while not plus sizes, I'm not tiny either. Most jeans I cut 4" off of, some more. Even petite sizes I tend to cut off 2".

So that leads me to believe a wetsuit is not going to come in an appropriate length for me. Does that mean custom is my only option, or can I sew at home? My sewing machine handles neoprene nicely (I've done coozies) but I don't know if there is something about the closure of the legs of wetsuits that make DIY a bad idea.

Go for it. I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't or couldn't do it.

I think the problem will be one of proportion. If the legs and arms are too long, the toro will be as well and no way to hem that. Also the knee area will be at the shin! And there are often zippers and seals to deal with.

Go for it. I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't or couldn't do it.

YAY! This is what I wanted to hear. I just wasn't sure if there was some sort of 'seal' or something on a wetsuit leg. But I guess that is more of a dry suit issue. I have no interest in cold water diving, so dry suits won't be for me.

YAY! This is what I wanted to hear. I just wasn't sure if there was some sort of 'seal' or something on a wetsuit leg. But I guess that is more of a dry suit issue. I have no interest in cold water diving, so dry suits won't be for me.

Not so fast.....

uncfnp brings up some good points. Study this carefully before buying and taking the shears to. I'm not saying this needs to be rocket science but you need to end up with a garment that fits with a slight hint of compression all over or you will not be warm.

You can remove 4 inches from the (I like the ball of the ankle or a tad lower than that) legs easy enough. The will get you up into the taper of the calf so you may need to open a seam and remove a wedge of material. The suit probably has ankle zippers that will be displaces so these alterations can be one in the same.

Knee pads are likely to be a miss but at least they are heading in a useful direction. You should be on your knees very little so this is not a show stopper. Many suits just have rubber goop for kneepads so you can always overlay some real pads later.

The rest of the body is up for grabs. Take a real objective look at this before signing up.

Also, what do you have in mind for a suit? If you are looking at a quality suit then beware that you are virtually in the same price point of a made to measure suit. If you are looking to hack up an elcheapo suit be careful you don't get over invested.

I happen to be long in the torso & short in the legs. My first suit a 3mm was 3-4 long in the legs for me. I would just pull it up onto may calf some then pull the leg down over itself making for an instant fit and a great seal. It did hold water in a weird way when getting out but it served the purpose and I suppose drain holes could be added.

Pete

I think the problem will be one of proportion. If the legs and arms are too long, the toro will be as well and no way to hem that. Also the knee area will be at the shin! And there are often zippers and seals to deal with.

Mae posted at the same time so it looks like I ignored you, I didn't! I am all over short but tend to have a longer torso than legs (leotards fit me, unitards don't). Of course I'd still try things on, but hopefully if length is the only issue, I can call it a non issue. I assume there is negative ease so hopefully having the parts of the leg lower than intended doesn't require a lot of altering, but still it should be doable- it isn't like losing the entire boot cut on jeans.

At least I know hemming is possible if the garment lends itself to that.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 12:32 PM ----------

Hmm spectrum, you bring up good points. Ankle zippers will suck!

i don't really know what I'm looking for yet. I'd be shocked if we dive more than 4 dives in a year, so normally I'd just rent. My husband will for sure. I just know the chance of anything rental fitting is zilch.

Where do you intend to dive? In warm water, fit won't be quite as big of an issue - you might even be happy in a "shorty" where leg length is a non issue. If you intend to spend time in cold water, fit is going to matter more - not just in the legs, but the torso - air pockets are going to let water circulate that that means themal loss.

You have a few paths:

1 - try different manufacturers to see who has an off-the-rack suit that fits well. If you get the torso correct, then legs and arms are probably easier to work with getting altered. Also consider 2-piece suits (jacket/john) where you may be able to mix-and-match somewhat.
2 - skip that and go right to a custom made suit. One that gets mentioned here on SB all of the time is "Wetwear". I have no experience with them, but many seem to speak highly of them.
3 - if you're diving cold water and looking at a thick 7mm suit (or heavier) think carefully about just going dry. If you like cold water diving, you're likely to end up there anyway. Save the $500+ you'd spend on a custom 7mm and put it towards a drysuit, where fit isn't quite as critical. Bare has extended ranges, and the Whites Fusion line is extremely versatile. Many of them do custom as well for a little extra, or possibly even as part of their normal process (I hear Santi is like this).

I don't plan to dive in cold water, but I am considering bringing my own wetsuit to the Galapagos, where I will be snorkeling. I'm going there in October, though I know since I will be on the surface it will be warmer than dive temperatures.

Diving will just be on vacation- so likely Carribean (this year we will dive in Cozumel- just 1 day)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom