Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc

Miscreant Moderator
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Andrew Georgitsis from UTD dropped by the teams training today with some new equipment for us to try out- A bunch of their Z sidemount harness and BCD combos.

I hadn't thought much about sidemount but after trying their Z Plus rig I may need to reconsider.

The rig is a back inflate BCD with and integrated harness. Tanks are sidemounted and on quick disconnects on the lp hose. The hoses are routed to an air block located at your upper back. All of the hoses route along the harness so they are not hanging loose. Sounds a little strange but the finished product was great. The one I dove has 50 pounds of lift and they have two smaller units.

Vis at the lake was only about six inches and first time out the rig was so well balanced I was able to maintain level trim and still keep the bottom in view.

The word I used to describe it to him afterwards was "effortless".

It will take some research and testing to see if this is a viable option but anything that gives that kind of stability in low vis seems like it's worth exploring.

Thanks for bringing out the gear for us to test Andrew!

I was able to utilize the Z system on a rescue/recovery and found this gear to be an asset. Removing the victim from the vehicle without having tanks on my back made this operation safer for me. The vehicle was small and upside down. Debris, low visibility and entanglements were present. Penetrating this car was effortless after breaking the glass. Responding from our Station and being ready to splash was key. Not knowing how many victims were trapped made a complete search faster and safer. On scene we tied off our vessel fully suited up minus fins and tank.

All of my off duty diving is now with the side mount Z configuration. Give the guy's at UTD a shout! Andrew Georgitsis and Jeff Seckendorf are extremely knowledgeable and giving of their time.

This configuration is very scalable and still accommodates full face mask with communications. The possibilities of plugging in your redundant air source or surface supplied air is very easily done.

We have a difficult job when the bell rings. When gear this good is now available it is definitely worth checking out. My hopes in jumping in on this post is to allow you to be safer when you are called. No, I am not paid by UTD!

Shawn
LAFD Diver Bt 1
Equipment Manager

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom