So...I was up to Murray yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
click here for dive conditions
But I'm wondering if anyone's been up there cleaning up the beer cans? Last time I was there with Cyprian was in November (I think) and we were commenting on the amount of zebra mussel encrusted cans in the water. I didn't seem to find the same amount as then. Anybody doing this good work?

click here for dive conditions
But I'm wondering if anyone's been up there cleaning up the beer cans? Last time I was there with Cyprian was in November (I think) and we were commenting on the amount of zebra mussel encrusted cans in the water. I didn't seem to find the same amount as then. Anybody doing this good work?

Not that I am aware of, Franco....but I too have noticed a reduction in the cans, so someone is unofficially cleaning up, which is, always a good thing.

I can tell you that I have been in contact with the park manager about a cleanup and there are more than happy to support our efforts. They want to stage an area and will have their people haul off the trash that divers collect. I have also asked for lake patrol assistance during the event for divers. Once I get everything organized, I will post about the event here. Everyone is welcome.

Now, as related to your conditions post. We've been up there at least 3 weekends a month and have noticed the same thing you encountered recently.....varied vis everywhere. 3 weekends ago, we had ambient light at 75'.....yes ambient light in a lake at 75'. I even shot video where I reference my Liquivision Zen and then point toward my teammate so the light can be seen around him. You must have been in a weird spot to lose ambient light so fast. Last year, yeah, we always lost light around 40-50', but this year we have been in the 60s and 70s with light, albeit a dark green light...lol. Bryan and Brian went to 85' out in the channel and they had lost ambient light around 70 or so there I believe.

Anyway, now I'm rambling. I'll keep you updated on the clean up, Franco.

I pick up bits and pieces on any dive I'm on as long as it fits my
small BC pocket. Trash cleanups are fun if you're bored with
general sightseeing. At least it gives you something to do. And
there's plenty of junk in the Lake Murray to pick up. Just in the
Marietta Landing area I think it would take 50 dives to pick up
all the junk I've seen there and that's just a tiny portion of the
lake. Where do you get a mesh collection bag suitable for
collecting beer cans, etc? Leisurepro.com has so many items
I can't seem to figure out what keywords to search on.

Last edited:
I pick up bits and pieces on any dive I'm on as long as it fits my
small BC pocket. Trash cleanups are fun if you're bored with
general sightseeing. At least it gives you something to do. And
there's plenty of junk in the Lake Murray to pick up. Just in the
Marietta Landing area I think it would take 50 dives to pick up
all the junk I've seen there and that's just a tiny portion of the
lake. Where do you get a mesh collection bag suitable for
collecting beer cans, etc? Leisurepro.com has so many items
I can't seem to figure out what keywords to search on.

Good question, Bill. It is one of the items on my list of things to gather when organizing the cleanup.

Maybe the folks that organize Trashfest will chime in on where they get the sacks that they use.

Good question, Bill. It is one of the items on my list of things to gather when organizing the cleanup.

Maybe the folks that organize Trashfest will chime in on where they get the sacks that they use.
I use this to bag lobster when diving in NJ, if this is the type thing you're talking about. I was more thinking of just a garbage bag with some drainage holes poked in the bottom and sides a bit for the water to drain out.
mesh bag.jpg
If there's a group that's going to do the clean-up, it will be best to fan out or it'll be a silty mess!

The cheapest mesh bags I've found are in the laundry sections of discount stores. They are tough, appropriately sized, but they usually have a drawstring. I've found that a metal coat hanger (or other wire about that stiff) can be fashioned into a hinged, two-piece mouth similar to the above lobster bag and threaded through the opening. Great for clean-ups, and very inexpensive.

I've been on three trash cleanup dives and always borrowed
someone's bag to put my "loot" in. I think this is very similar
to what I used and only $10 plus shipping:

TYR Mesh Equipment Bag

Good idea using a laundry bag. I'm going to check that out.

You can get a laundry bag with a great big Diaper pin. We use them in the military for our laundry all the time. The Diaper pin is water resitant and you could easilty clip it off with a D ring. I would love to help with a clean up, but until I get back from the Sand Box, at the end of the summer, no diving for me. Besides I have never dove Lake Murray and it is on my dive list.. :D

Reactions: Foo
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom