Cruising in May - Key West, Freeport, Nassau - HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check priceline and see if they have any scheduled excursions for your date of arrival. I have used them a few times for diving excursions when there wasn't one offered bt the ship. Their guarantee is just the same as the cruise line's.

Caribbean Divers does some wrecks on their 1PM dives. I think they're about the same distance away as UNEXSO - never been there but drove by once. Caribbean Divers Scuba Diving - Freeport, Port Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island

I think your schedule is going to be a problem with Sunn Odyssey also but you might check. Introducing Grand Bahamas personalized dive operator Sunn Odyssey Divers

If "a wreck" is Theo's note that it's 100' deep. There's quite a few shallower wrecks near Stuart Cove's on Nassau.

Most of your options: Bahamas Government Portal - BDA Members

I've dove with Caribbean Divers they do pick ups so the won't leave without you, and some dives were scheduled for the divers from the cruise ships.

Just a quick update, if anyone comes here looking.

If you're cruising:
Nassau is on Eastern time.
We sailed out of New Orleans, on Central time zone.
We sailed Carnival Conquest.

We dove Stuart Coves:
Their bus picks up at the port, but picks up on Eastern time.
Luckily, their bus was running late. Also, a "port hand" called Stuart Coves for us & told them we were there, waiting for them.
The bus ride is about 45mins.
We stopped at 4 different hotels to pick up other divers, on the way.

Stuart Coves is a great place. They've got some really nice people working there.

We did a two tank A.M. dive.
Boat was named Youngdom.
10 people on our boat.
7 divers, a DM, a pro photographer who worked for Stuart Coves & snapped pics of us while diving, & the Captain (who didn't get in the water).

Our first dive was about a 10 minute boat ride.
Bridgewater was the name of the dive site.
The dive master, Julian, led us on this dive.
This is a wall dive on an awesome reef.
We dropped down to about 45' & made our way over the edge of the wall that drops to 6500' (that's the depth we were told at the briefing).
We dropped down the wall to 80'.
Made our way parallel to the wall. Lots of fish & marine life to see here.
Photos are taken over the wall.

The dive here lasted close to an hour.

After about a 30 minute surface interval, & a 5 minute boat ride, we were ready for our second dive.

Our second dive was on the BBC Wreck.

A shallow wreck dive.
The wreck is a small tug boat.
Photos will be taken here.
It's shallow at around 35' - 45'.
The wreck is resting on white sand.
Just off the stern of the wreck, is a huge reef with tons of marine life.

The visibility was well over 50' (probably closer to 70-80') as of 5-9-13.

A great dive operator.

Highly recommended.
I would dive with them again today if given the chance.

Hope this helps someone else along the way.

Thank you for the information everyone! We're cruising to Nassau late Aug. and hope to get a few dives in including Cococay and Nassau.

Tinman, about what time do you get back from the two tank dives? This is a whole family trip but my wife and youngest son (14) don't dive (yet anyway) I don't think it would be good for the family to split up the entire day/evening. Also you mention a dive down to 80'. I won't dive beyond 60' (my and my son's training) Will this be an issue doing the trip you've described above? It's not so much the extra 20' but soon it could be another 20 and then another 20 then check out a cave..... It's not so much me (I'm pretty disipline) but my teen age son, the rule is there for a reason and it doesn't get crossed.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom