The best way to "do" Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Most of our recent vacation trips were to AI resorts around the Caribbean (Mexico, DR, Roatan...) which mostly had a schedule of half day (morning) diving and half day other stuff, either sight seeing or just lazing on the beach. AI is convenient because the resorts we book have a dive shop on site, prices aren't excessive and you don't have to worry about food or drink.

Now we're looking into Curacao and judging from reading up on it and from the severe lack of dedicated AI resorts, it seems that people don't usually go that route, but more tend to stay in non-AI hotels or other forms of accommodations, rent a car and travel around the island using that, buy their own groceries, maybe even cook their own food, and do a lot of shore diving and/or make their own way to the dive shop and boat dock if that has the better diving. Which suits us just fine if that's the way to go.

So what would you guys recommend for a "first timer"? We (a couple without kids) don't necessarily care for luxury, especially not if it involves wasting a lot of money (as the AI options in the various resorts seem to be excessively priced), but we do like to have a nice relaxing, hassle-free vacation with a certain amount of convenience. We don't want diving 24/7 but would rather like to combine it with either sight seeing and/or some easy time on a beach. We'd be totally ok with driving ourselves (even on a scooter, as we did in Bermuda).

Curacao can be "done" either way - that is you can stay in a resort near town and dive by boat and eat out all of your meals or you can choose to shore dive and make your own meals. Many folks who enjoy shore diving in Bonaire will also enjoy staying in Westpunt at AllWest apartments. They have unlimited tanks, room and truck deal that is a bit cheaper than the same set up on Bonaire. I have done both but prefer the shore diving - self catering option over being on a boat with a bunch of other divers and a dive master trying to herd us all along.

Been to the Curacao Marriott three times. Will stay there next time we go as well. Centrally located (more or less) full service hotel, nice pool, nice beach, dive op on site. Car rental on site so you can get a car for a few days and head up to Westpunt and other areas. They have an AI meal program, but I wouldn't bother. You can get a fridge in your room, fill it up with beer, etc.

I think many would agree that a great way to "do Curacao" would be to spend a month or two :)

I'd say stay in an apartment or at least have a fridge in your hotel room for easy breakfasts and sunset bottles of wine. Shore diving is great and on land activities as well.

I think many would agree that a great way to "do Curacao" would be to spend a month or two :)

I'd say stay in an apartment or at least have a fridge in your hotel room for easy breakfasts and sunset bottles of wine. Shore diving is great and on land activities as well.

will keep that in mind for when we retire lol
for now is going to have to be a week only
even that seems to be a challenge and not really worth it, the travel time from Toronto is anywhere from 7 hours to 27 :eek:hbrother:

Hey Burlington... cool to know that you may be heading our way!! Check with Dean @ the Dive Academy (Oakville) or with Brad @ Float N' Flag (Burlington) and they can certainly give you great personal advice about Curacao as they both have been coming here for years!!

You are right in saying about the AI's on the island... there really is only 1 sort of located in the Willemstad area. But if you really want to see, explore and dive... head to Banda Abou (the West Side of Curacao) for really some of the best diving and exploring nature! My two recommendations for accommodations would be All West Apartments and Diving and the Lodge Kura Hulanda.

All West will give you pure freedom as they only sell packages consisting of Room/Car or Truck and Diving! The diving can be a combination of Shore and boat or shore only... whatever and whenever you want!! This can be really the best value because of everything that is included and the freedom of course!

As for the Lodge... well this is a little more on the Luxury side. The Lodge has restaurants, car rental, and then GO WEST looks after the diving!!

Addditionally, check with Greg at Squba Holidays in London - they have some amazing packages already put together including direct non stop flights out of Toronto!!

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. The best way to reach me is bryan@gowestdiving.com

BTW... I am originally from St. Catharines!!

Have an awesome day and I will look forward to hearing from you!!

Yes, Dean is actually one of the reasons why we're looking into Curacao, I have the flyer of their upcoming scheduled trip to Curacao (Kura Hulanda) sitting right here on my desk, unfortunately those dates don't work with our job schedules, so we're trying to work something out of our own :)

thank you Bryan, well we know Dean at Dive Academy, it is our LDS of choice
they have a trip planned in November already, but i feel the price from Scuba Holidays is a little steep lol
i found some reasonable flights with an 1-2 hour layover in Miami, total travel time 7 hours and this place looks reasonable for accommodation and diving Atlantis Apartments , with this alternative we're saving about $400/pp

btw: who are they flying with direct, unless they have a private plane its impossible, nobody flies direct from Toronto

I'm going soon. I was thinking about Kura Hulanda and using Go West, but after reading recent reviews of Kura Hulanda Lodge on Trip Advisor I'm a bit nervous...

thank you Bryan, well we know Dean at Dive Academy, it is our LDS of choice
they have a trip planned in November already, but i feel the price from Scuba Holidays is a little steep lol
i found some reasonable flights with an 1-2 hour layover in Miami, total travel time 7 hours and this place looks reasonable for accommodation and diving Atlantis Apartments , with this alternative we're saving about $400/pp

btw: who are they flying with direct, unless they have a private plane its impossible, nobody flies direct from Toronto

You are more than welcome to book direct with us for All West Apartments & Diving! As mentioned, you can reach me directly at bryan@gowestdiving.com

As for direct flights, Air Canada does year round direct flights and Westjet is seasonal. AA of course has 2 flights a day with a stop in Miami.

Let me know how I can help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom