St. Maarten Hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning a liveaboard trip for February 2014 with Explorer Ventures departing from St. Maarten. We will be arriving two nights prior to our departure and would like input regarding a convenient place to stay in relationship to the airport and Bobby's Marina. We have never stayed in St. Maarten before and would like any information that would be helpful for our two night layover.
Laine

I was just there for work and stayed at the Sonesta Maho. It is right next to the airport. It's pretty nice and has all inclusive packages. It had a bit of a spring break feel to the crowd, which could be a good thing or bad thing for you.

We are planning a liveaboard trip for February 2014 with Explorer Ventures departing from St. Maarten. We will be arriving two nights prior to our departure and would like input regarding a convenient place to stay in relationship to the airport and Bobby's Marina. We have never stayed in St. Maarten before and would like any information that would be helpful for our two night layover.
Laine

I also have heard very good things about the Sonesta, and although its all-inclusive, its on the fairly expensive side of the available choices during prime time periods. I do hear its runs a great special in August/Sept during low season...One nice this is that its also close to a number of other shops and restaurants.

Family and I stayed at the Simpson Bay Resort and Marina for a couple of nights early this month. We stayed during the night prior to our departure to Saba and the night prior to our departure back to home. Cost was about $200.00 per night. The Hotel itself has some very nice condo units but as a single nights stay, we were placed in a secondary set of units away from the beach and water. Comfortable but certainly not fancy. I believe the fancy units are utilized for the week long timeshare holders. Although a short walk, not much for atmosphere. The Simpson Bay compound did have a very fine Italian restaurant that we frequented a couple of times. Hotel staff was very nice and it was easy to request a cab even at 6:00am in the morning. Only 10-15 minutes from the airport.
There seems to be a bit of variance in room cost. None are cheap but I was searching during the typical Spring Break time period. I think costs really depend on time of year. During Peak seasons, nothing will be cheap. You shouldn't be too bad in February.

On a previous trip, also stayed a single night at the Westin Dawn Beach. Very nice hotel. Good luck with your research.:42:

Thanks for the hotel ideas! Seems St. Maarten is a relatively expensive place to stay especially since it is not really our destinaton just a layover to make sure we have luggage on the liveaboard and to chill for a day!

do you want to stay close to the airport or bobbys marina ?? they are nowhere near each other. airport is at maho beach and the marina is in philipsburg. narrowing down the location might make helping you a bit easier.

Back
Top Bottom