Gas Blender Software - For multiple scenarios, Not just this mix top with O2 then air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude_LA

Contributor
Reaction score
Last known coordinates: Western Hemisphere
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Before we go there I know, but if I wanted to futz around with Excel it would be done, I don't :)
Just looking for an app for that, no iPhone please.

Want to be able to bank 40, then punch in existing mix add so much O2 and top with 40 or 38 etc.
Or say top with 40 instead of O2 then top with air.
Everything I have found wants to top O2 then with air, can't specify custom top up gas after adding O2, etc. Only exception if I remember correctly is the old IANTD mixer program you get with the blender course but it won't run on 64bit.
Also, bleed off scenarios would be great too...
Need Helium functions as well.
Would be great to punch in: I have 40 banked and O2, Heli avail, this is what is in the tank to be filled so tell me what to do Mr Microchip.

Last edited:
Go try V-Planner, I have been using it for years. The trick to accurate mixes is a digital gauge and waiting for the gas temperature to come back to equilibrium and rechecking the pressure before moving to the next gas. V-Planner VPM & VPM-B & VPMB & VPM-B/E dive decompression software

My last attempt at mixing 10/60

photo.jpg

Just tried to do you blend parameters. You can add O2 and He, but then the top off is air. It does have a tab for existing trimix and toping off with any nitrox blend, then gives you the final product. So its close but wont do exactly what you want.

Thanks, still searching the www for a solution. I will look at the links by OkByMe.
Phil, I do use V-Planner, but as you mentioned the trick is custom top up gases which I want to possibly be high banked EAN then Air, Or O2 and high banked EAN.
Then add the apps ability to know that a bleed down is needed then top up with specified custom.
It has had to have been written somewhere.
If not, I hereby PATENT THIS CONCEPT!
IPO to follow

PS: That is about as 10/60 as a human can get, lol. We just have to figure out that .1 O2 variance!!!!

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 12:07 AM ----------

To clarify a little more, probably sounds way too anal :
My goal is to bank 40 when I feel like babysitting the compressor system, Slooowwww cheapo. Also to minimize compressor runs when late nite franken gas blending really irks the neighbors which is usually the nite of 2 foot or less seas with little or no notice, hence a school nite. ( Off TOPIC: But in fairness that probably pales in comparison to the grief that their ill trained Lab reeks on us with pshyco non-stop shriek barking and brown land mines that I end up tracking to my living room after setting the garbage out).

Then PP with minimal O2 when needed and transfill 40 on top of that with the bank. Or maybe just transfill 40 and top with air from compressor when it works for the stars.
Just depends, trying to max the use of what is in the used tanks with minimal short technical runs of the compressor. I have the formulas, just want a puch in and go app if it exists.

Last edited:
Scubadude_LA,
I understand the GUE concept of He and 32% to get the standard mixes (21/35, 18/45, 15/55). If you have O2 and He, why top off with 40%?
Thanks

Well, good question I think.
The short story is it is more efficient to do the 40 banked while reclaiming existing mixes. More ean than tri at this point. It is the way I was taught. It made good sense when I ran the numbers.
Also allowed less compressor time into banks when trying to bank up rich mix for blending down.
Plus, where the heck do I get standard gases? :) My tanks are all over the place.
I'm not the DIR, GUE, UTD, standard gas type. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I do this with hand formulas now and it works flawlessly for any existing mix and top up/bleed off scenario.
Just want an app for it. I'm probably way too anal about recycling gas for any standards in my situation, if that makes sense.
That said, I'm open to some flame free input on the topic.
thx

Why not use an oxygen stick and create the mix you want as you go? I do this (built my own stick/stik) and can get within 0.3% just by dialing up a certain PSI on oxygen cylinder. I also wrote an Excel spreadsheet to work out what % I need to add to get xx%.

Hi Michael,
Already using a stick.

Here is my rationale for using a richer banked blend:

Let's say I want to top up a tank containing 500psi of Nitrox with 25% Oxygen to a final pressure of 3500 psi of EAN32.
I cranked up my old clunker laptop with the Mix Master (IANTD) software on it to arrive at the following:

Scenario 1 using 32% Blend to top up:

We are starting off with:
25.00% of 500 psi being Oxygen, or 125.0 psi of Oxygen
0.00% of 500 psi being Helium, or 0.0 psi of Helium
75.00% of 500 psi being Nitrogen, or 375.0 psi of Nitrogen

Giving us a total starting balance of 500 psi.

Our Target requirements are:
32.00% of 3500 psi being Oxygen, or 1120.0 psi of Oxygen.
0.00% of 3500 psi being Helium, or 0.0 psi of Helium.
68.00% of 3500 psi being Nitrogen, or 2380.0 psi of Nitrogen.

Giving us an ending balance of 3500 psi.

Therefore, we'll need to add the following components
995.0 psi of Oxygen.
0.0 psi of Helium.
2005.0 psi of Nitrogen.

We'll get the required Oxygen by adding:
51.5 psi of Oxygen. This is what I am trying to avoid.
2948.5 psi of Blend for 943.5 psi of Oxygen. The 32% banked mix.
For a total of 995.0 psi of Oxygen.

And we'll get the required Nitrogen by adding:
2948.5 psi of Blend for 2005.0 psi of Nitrogen.
For a total of 2005.0 psi of Nitrogen.

Scenario 2 using 38% Blend for top up:

We are starting off with:
25.00% of 500 psi being Oxygen, or 125.0 psi of Oxygen
0.00% of 500 psi being Helium, or 0.0 psi of Helium
75.00% of 500 psi being Nitrogen, or 375.0 psi of Nitrogen

Giving us a total starting balance of 500 psi.

Our Target requirements are:
32.00% of 3500 psi being Oxygen, or 1120.0 psi of Oxygen.
0.00% of 3500 psi being Helium, or 0.0 psi of Helium.
68.00% of 3500 psi being Nitrogen, or 2380.0 psi of Nitrogen.

Giving us an ending balance of 3500 psi.

Therefore, we'll need to add the following components
995.0 psi of Oxygen.
0.0 psi of Helium.
2005.0 psi of Nitrogen.

We'll get the required Oxygen by adding:
2147.1 psi of Blend for 815.9 psi of Oxygen. The 38% banked mix.
852.9 psi of Air for 179.1 psi of Oxygen. Plain air off the air banks.
For a total of 995.0 psi of Oxygen.

And we'll get the required Nitrogen by adding:
2147.1 psi of Blend for 1331.2 psi of Nitrogen.
852.9 psi of Air for 673.8 psi of Nitrogen.
For a total of 2005.0 psi of Nitrogen.

In Scenario 2, I never touch pure O2 at higher pressures and never even start the compressor. When blending deco the richer top off results in lower pressure PP blending of 02.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom