I may need to get a second job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cb5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife of 25 years grew up near Boise, Idaho and has never expressed an interest in swimming or diving. She loves the top of the ocean, but not so much the underneath part. I’ve never pestered her about taking scuba lessons because as a DM I’ve seen my share of wives who were absolutely terrified, but were only doing it because their dear hubby forced them into it.

This past winter she told me that she wanted to give scuba a try. I signed her up for private lessons with a patient, easy going and very knowledgeable instructor and have intentionally stayed away from her lessons…I figure she’s nervous enough already.

She’s read the book twice, watched the video twice, completed the SSI on-line course and has completed 10 hours of classroom/pool training with another 8-10 hours to go before her open water dives. She comes home from her lessons grinning from ear to ear and jabbering away about mask clearing, air sharing, dive tables, etc. What a hoot!

Last night she asked me how much an Atomic Cobalt computer cost…and then promptly stated, “There damn well better be one under the Christmas tree for me this year!”

I think this may get expensive…

I feel your pain.
And I'm sure it's going to be expensive.
Been there.(or actualy still am) :D

Congrats, hopefully you found the dive buddy of your lifetime:). I hope my wife will follow a similar track later this year, after our son gives her a little relief.

As for the financials - it might not be that bad after she's geared up. OTOH, the Cobalt cost around the same as my entire setup :D (Okay, not counting the underwater photo gear). As a new diver, I also wanted high end gear (wireless AI comp) - but convinced myself that I neither want to loose control nor be shark bait.

Nice. Best thing that ever happened to me was when my wife/bestfriend decided to start diving. Congrats.

My husband told me I had to learn to dive.

I think he occasionally regrets having done that . . .especially when he looks at the small dive shop's worth of equipment in the "scuba room"!

Have fun diving with your wife. Sounds like you picked a good instructor for her.

Last edited:
I wish I could convince my wife to learn to dive. It would be nice to have a shared interest as great as this. She also doesn't like me describing the time we spend together on vacations as 'surface intervals'.

my wife refuses to consider diving as well... but she gets motion sick easy.. but there isn't THAT MUCH under the water... and the pills do work :wink:
at least i have a lot of people here that dive and i have fun watching her and her friends bellydancing :cool2:

my wife refuses to consider diving as well... but she gets motion sick easy.. but there isn't THAT MUCH under the water... and the pills do work :wink:
at least i have a lot of people here that dive and i have fun watching her and her friends bellydancing :cool2:

My lovely bride is also subject to mal de mer, and for years she suffered on our trips. I have one word for you:

Bonaire.

I think we can file this one under:

Be careful what you wish for, or you just might get it!

On a serious note, best wishes for many happy years of diving together.
I have offered scuba training to my wife and she loves to swim and snorkel, but she has turned me down consistently on scuba. I think it has to do with the water temperature in Michigan??

cheers,
Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom