Master Diver vs. Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WolfeDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Currently Open Water Advanced Diver Level 2, DRAM, Nitrox, and Dry Suit Diver Certified. I am scheduled to take Search & Recovery, Wreck Diving, and Advanced Diver Level 3 later this summer, However I have considered both Master Diver and DiveMaster training.. Which should I do? Difference between the two or Maybe do both?

Yes you could but I wouldn't. Master Diver is instructor level knowledge and skills without the teaching component. It is in fact a "pro" level stand alone course. You just can't teach with it and you won't need insurance.

Master Diver also has a strong free diving component that is not necessarily in the DM course. This is the course to take if you want to take your skills and knowledge to a level that will be greater than that of some instructors from other agencies.

Dive Master is for those who wish to assist with classes and teach. Under our system your skills, knowledge, and teaching ability should be equal to that of an instructor by the time you finish the course. You will in fact teach classroom and pool sessions under instructor supervision while becoming a DM.

These are two courses that need to be done separately to get the full benefits of each. And I would not rush them. My last Master Diver student took all last summer to finish the course. My current DM student has been working on her course for over a year. These are not courses you take lightly. Both have the potential to affect the safety of others through your actions. Slow down. Do the courses you have signed up for.

Get a hundred or so dives in. In as many different environments as possible. Then take an Intro to Tech from a different instructor and agency. I like TDI for that. Then think about doing Master Diver Level 4 or DM.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 10:14 PM ----------

And tell Tom you want to slow down a little and just dive.:D:wink:

Divemaster is a class that is designed to prepare you for being a guide, or assisting with classes. There is little to no personal skill development in the class, although you do learn how to execute the demonstration skills in a stylized, slow and exaggerated fashion so that students can follow them. You do get some experience in supervising and helping to manage novice divers, as well. If you don't intend to teach or assist with classes, or guide divers for pay, the DM class does not have a lot of value, in my opinion. (Having done it myself.)

Lynne,

This is an SEI forum so I think your general comment is more in keeping with other agencies but not SEI.
AFAIK SEI is CMAS in the US. I've done similar training to what Jim teaches here in the UK and the training ethos is different.

dbulmer is correct. SEI's DM class does have a great deal of personal skill development. what is missing from it is the emphasis others place on marketing courses, gear, and travel. In an SEI DM class the candidates are expected to show instructor level skills with a heavy emphasis on buoyancy and trim and demoing skills in a real life manner. You won't see them doing the Marcel Marceau style overly exaggerated motions as they are completely unnecessary. A good briefing and making the skills look effortless and NATURAL is required. There is nothing natural about overly exaggerated motions.

In addition, like old Yprogram, candidates learn to teach by teaching. It is not unusual for a DM to be conducting classroom sessions once they have created the lecture they will give in the style most comfortable for them after having it critiqued by the instructor. There is no set script. They are expected to know the material. A series of seven one hour lectures is common. As well as being able to conduct all of the pool sessions, explain and demo the skills, and conduct the snorkeling, swimming, and skin diving sections. Personal skill development as well as knowledge development is more important than anything else. SEI DM's should be indistinguishable from the instructors they assist. Only thing they cannot do is conduct some programs and evaluate student performance. But we do rely heavily on their input and opinions.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

In addition, like old Yprogram, candidates learn to teach by teaching. It is not unusual for a DM to be conducting classroom sessions once they have created the lecture they will give in the style most comfortable for them after having it critiqued by the instructor. There is no set script. They are expected to know the material. A series of seven one hour lectures is common. As well as being able to conduct all of the pool sessions, explain and demo the skills, and conduct the snorkeling, swimming, and skin diving sections.

That was my experience in the Y program. The assistants (or whatever their official title was) were great in the classroom, pool, and open water. They were well prepared and indistinguishable in their skills from the primary instructors.

Paul

I'm sorry -- I didn't see which forum this was in. Would you guys like me to delete my comment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom