Attaching hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When you are attaching hoses, either LP or HP, to your first stage, do you do it by feel or by torque?

If by torque, how much?

Snug it up by hand, then grab a wrench as close to the fitting as you can and just barely tighten it. The reason to grab it close is so you don't get much leverage. They are brass fittings and barely need to be tightened past hand tight.

The Sherwood manuals I have contain the following information:

Never tighten the hose fittings to the first stage with more than 40 in. Lbs of torque.

That is just over 3 foot lbs of torque. So not very tight compared to the 92 foot lbs for my car wheel nuts.

By hand with slight pressure on the wrench. The amount of torque on a fitting has no bearing on the sealing of the oring and more torque to stop a leak is never the right thing to do when orings are involved. All that is needed is for the hose to not come loose during use, any more torque than that is unnecessary.

Excellent, thanks for the input!

So my new SPG and hose arrived and there is a note on the hose. (english obviously not their first language...)

It mentions cleaning the hose... How do you do that? What type of lubricant if any do I use for the o-rings on the spool and the connection to the first stage?
CAM00098.jpg

No lube is proper on the first stage connection o-ring. It should be dry if you're doing things properly. It doesn't move and is for sealing. Lube increases the risk of extrusion.

Christolube or Tribolube for the two o-rings on the spool. A small purchase of a tube will last you a lifetime; I've been using a scubapro re-packaging of a tiny tube of Christolube for almost a decade on my rebreather, which is lots of o-rings each and every dive setup, plus during the annual rebuilds of the 10+ regs I have, and I've still got a ton of it. Handy stuff to have along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom