Best reel for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Yes, yet another reel question. I have a few finger spools but I am looking for something to use open water to deploy SMB from about 100 feet or less that is a little more substantial. I have read reviews and recommendations but requesting advise specific to my needs.

I like the look of the small side handle reels, like the Hollis and LM. Pricey but willing to pay for quality. Because I would only be using occasionally, I would like something with a low learning curve if possible, low profile and light weight. I also have small hands if this is a consideration in selection.

1) Am I on target with the side handle?

2) Is it worth the money?

3) If yes to 1 & 2, then Hollis or Light Monkey?

4) Are there any accessories I need as well?

Thanks

Lisa

...//... deploy SMB from about 100 feet or less ...//... low profile and light weight. ...//...

Yes, an upline should have the lowest possible learning curve. Obvious as to why.

Sorry about low profile and light weight, that would be a finger spool...

My favorite reel is something I bought from Wakulla diving center. I don't know who made it. I just re-strung it with #48 braided nylon. Perfect! This material does NOT have a mind of its own. It is heavy, and behaves itself quite nicely under water. The reel will hold 200' of of it. So even in heavy current, you will get to see the surface from recreational depths. The reel (as shown) weighs 2.4# in air.

The "toy" and the heavy coldwater boltsnap are my additions.

Attachments

• upline.jpg
    upline.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 835
I just modified a finger spool so that it could run out faster using a round long splice as the handle. Still as much of a hassle to reel in as a normal finger spool but it should address most of your concerns.

IMG_2282.jpg

I like the Manta Jr Reel. Have you checked it out? The Manta Jr. is a handy high quality reel that is easy to deploy and wind.

130468_big.jpg

Took a look at the manta today. Does look like it should be very easy to operate. Looked at others on the boat today. No luck locating a side handle to get a feel for the grip. Looks like it might just be the manta.

I like the Manta Jr Reel. Have you checked it out? The Manta Jr. is a handy high quality reel that is easy to deploy and wind.

130468_big.jpg

Don't use this reel. It's junk. If you were to show up with it in any cave or cavern class in N. Florida, your instructor would not let you use it.
The Hollis reel is built poorly and will warp with temperature changes. Depending on the weather it will not roll up or out very easily. I found this out the hard way as most of the customers who bought them returned them.

The Light Monkey reel is top notch. It works flawlessly and if price were no object all my reels would be Light Monkey. But they are expensive. You get what you pay for. The Halcyon is very similar in quality and price to the Light Monkey.

I recently lost my old primary reel and needed a quick replacement. I got the Light Monkey 400 foot reel. I was really impressed with how hard it was to snarl (and I gave it several good opportunities).

Sometimes wreckdiversupply.com has blemish 200' or 400' H reels at about 50% off, which is where I got mine. I also have a used 400' Salvo reel (same as LM aside from the name) that I picked up for $60 or so. The H is slightly better put together (more gap with the Salvo reel, though neither is likely to jam line between the spool and the handle) and I prefer its metal handle to the derlin handle on the Salvo/LM reel. However, the Salvo reel is slightly smoother in its action (slight rub in the blemish H reel).

Between Hollis and LM there's no question: LM, which makes a better product and has some of the best customer service ever. Also check out the blem H 200' spool/reel, which may fill your bill nicely: http://www.wreckdiversupply.com/product/30-040-200B.html

It doesn't get any better than the LM reels.

Sometimes wreckdiversupply.com has blemish 200' or 400' H reels at about 50% off, which is where I got mine. I also have a used 400' Salvo reel (same as LM aside from the name) that I picked up for $60 or so. The H is slightly better put together (more gap with the Salvo reel, though neither is likely to jam line between the spool and the handle) and I prefer its metal handle to the derlin handle on the Salvo/LM reel. However, the Salvo reel is slightly smoother in its action (slight rub in the blemish H reel).

Between Hollis and LM there's no question: LM, which makes a better product and has some of the best customer service ever. Also check out the blem H 200' spool/reel, which may fill your bill nicely: Halcyon Defender Pro 200 Spool/Reel - BLEM | Wreck Diver Supply

Thats a great price and hard to pass up. I take it the blemish does not effect function.

It doesn't get any better than the LM reels.

I do like the quality of the LM and I think I would prefer that open handle. Hope to find one to look at. I have some time before my next dive trip to look around. Thanks for all the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom