SPIEGEL GROVE dive report, friday, 5/17/13, a few pics,,,,,,,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
weather better than forecasted this AM so we headed for a 2 tanker on the SG. sunny skies, light winds, 1-2FT rollers outside the reef. double dip on mooring buoy SG4(port aft crane); really nice conditions on the wreck: blue water, viz 70-80+FT, no current, water temp 79/80F @ 60-100FT. joined by HS minnow and horizion divers(only 7-8 divers total). tarpon, goliath and numerous black groupers, jacks, huge cudas, lots of fish. wideangle pics from timg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

photo #1 captured from the bow

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• sg1.jpg
    sg1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 116
  • sg2.jpg
    sg2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 110
  • sg3.jpg
    sg3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 110
  • sg4.jpg
    sg4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 101
  • sg5.jpg
    sg5.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 113
  • sg6.jpg
    sg6.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 104
  • sg7.jpg
    sg7.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 104
  • sg8.jpg
    sg8.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 103
  • sg9.jpg
    sg9.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 102
  • sg10.jpg
    sg10.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 92
  • sg11.jpg
    sg11.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 95
  • sg12.jpg
    sg12.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 90
  • sg13.jpg
    sg13.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 82
  • sg14.jpg
    sg14.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 91
  • sg15.jpg
    sg15.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Love it ! I'll be there in exactly 1 month. May I request the same conditions through you, reefman :D I'll be there for 4 days. Thanks in advance !!

Hey Tim these may be your best set yet. Love the colors and the open mouth cudas!!

very nice! thank you!!

Hey Tim these may be your best set yet. Love the colors and the open mouth cudas!!
Thank you DT. I have been working with the Tokina 10-17mm lens this month in preparation for some other work I have coming up that is all wide angle. Different mindset than the 17-55mm, which I used on the other SG trips the last few months.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2013 at 11:17 AM ----------

very nice! thank you!!

Thank you AmyLoraR

---------- Post added May 18th, 2013 at 11:22 AM ----------

Wow! the detail skin coloration on the GG's is beautiful..... I also like the open mouth cuda. Was it at a cleaning station?

Thank you sportxlh. Actually, I wanted to get a little closer to the goliaths, but they have their buffer space and you can tell as you approach if they begin to turn and angle away form you. Yes, the port aft crane mooring line is attached at about 65 feet, great place to hang out before coming up the line. A lot of the time cudas are here, but yesterday they were friendlier than usual for some reason. Fun day on the SG.

Thank you DT. I have been working with the Tokina 10-17mm lens this month in preparation for some other work I have coming up that is all wide angle. Different mindset than the 17-55mm, which I used on the other SG trips the last few months.

Can't go wrong with that lens. I'm bringing mine for specifically for the SG. Great, fun lens below AND above water.

TIMG - the vertical shot of the barracuda is awesome!!!

You & Reefman inspired me and I just booked a two-tank dive on the SG for May 29! Counting the seconds!!!

Can't go wrong with that lens. I'm bringing mine for specifically for the SG. Great, fun lens below AND above water.
I agree. I use it with a mini-dome port. Allows me to get into some tight spots that I can't get with the super dome.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2013 at 05:38 PM ----------

TIMG - the vertical shot of the barracuda is awesome!!!

You & Reefman inspired me and I just booked a two-tank dive on the SG for May 29! Counting the seconds!!!

Thank you Chachita. We have a blast here. SG is one of my favorite spots. Hope you have calm seas, great viz and no current on the 29th!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom