The Drought Has Ended-- Destin Jetty Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It has been a year and a half since I made my last dive which is the longest diving drought I have ever had. My dive buddy and I decided to make some early morning dives at the DestinEast Jetty. Thought I would post some surface shots and give a condition report in case someone was planning a dive at the jetties. High Tide was scheduled for 8:30 AM. We launched our boat at 7 AM and splashed for our first dive at 7:45 AM.
Boat Launch2.jpg

emerlald Grande.jpg

Surface conditions were great. Flat seas, no wind, and emerald green water.

Destin Bridge.jpgDestin Bridge2.jpgDestin Jetty.jpgWater Destin Jetty.jpg

First dive was 58 minutes with a max depth of 54 feet. We made our way to the metal box, tied off the dive flag, and made our way south heading toward the anchor. Shortly before the anchor the tide was really pushing in hard. When you get out to the end, you lose the protection of the jetty rocks so the current can really swirl. Visibility at about 30 feet was great, in the 50 foot range. When I tied the flag off to the metal box, I could look up and see the flag floating on the surface. When we hit about 55 feet depth the viz dropped to about 15-20 feet....still a decent viz. Temperature for the first dive was 78 degrees.

During our surface Interval, the two large snorkel boats appeared. We geared up and headed in for our second dive. Second dive had lower current so we made it out past the anchor. Second dive was 45 minutes, with 57 foot max depth. The water was a little cooler at depth, around 76 degrees. I am happy to report that the stone crabs are back in large numbers. The fish were abundant. I have never seen so many flounders in one dive. I could have stuck over a dozen flounder if it were allowed....they were everywhere. I was sorry I didn't have my camera because there were great pictures all over the place. Flounder, numerous sting rays, two huge File Fish, Wrasse, Blue Crab, Stone Crab, Many Grouper, Sheep Head, Grunts, Damsels....just to name a few.

Two Great dives to end the drought....summer has begun.
Destin Panorama.jpg

Welcome Back Glen! Looks like you picked a perfect day to get back into the world of diving.

What was your impression of the blue crab population? We dove there a few weeks ago, and only saw a single blue.

The Blue Crabs are for sure lower in number. I only saw one on both dives. Apart from the low Blue Crabs and the abundance of flounder...I would say it was a fairly normal jetty dive.

Welcome Back Glen! Looks like you picked a perfect day to get back into the world of diving.

What was your impression of the blue crab population? We dove there a few weeks ago, and only saw a single blue.

Awesome dive report and photos! Thanks for sharing.

Welcome back Glen!

Thanks Rob...it has been far too long! I literally just sat, (I mean hovered in perfect trim) listened to my bubbles, and watched the damsels protect their territory from other fish. It was great therapy.

Welcome back Glen!

thnx for posting

Glad to see you back Glenn! Thanks for the report, last year I didn't see near the populations that you saw. It's good to hear some life is coming back in that area. In regards to damsel fish: one kept violently attacking my fingers today at Pickens on a safety stop. They seem to be getting bigger over there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom