DUI Silicon Zip Seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to get a spare set of neck and wrist seals for my TLS350 and was thinking about the new silicon seals. Has any one been using them for a while, dive season is just starting here, to be able to evaluate them for comfort, durability and leakage?

Thanks for any information.

I use the neck seal, not the wrist seals. So far so good. No real leakage. The only issues I've had with it is it is a little more difficult to get the seal to lay on my neck when first donned. I have a VERY short neck & it tends to want to roll up & the lower parts of the seal wants to poke out. Just takes a little more manipulation to get things settled in. Have this problem also with the latex seals, but the silicone is a tad "stickier" than the latex. Also that stickiness, tends to collect sand rather badly. rinses off easily enough, but if you don't have rinse water available,..... it can be an irritation.

I bought a set of wrist and neck to use as spares and tried them out to see what the difference is. I liked them so much I left them on the suit and my latex seals are now the spare seals.

Awesome... I've had the neck seal on since they came out, and I put a set of wrist seals on for Florida (caves... diving at home I use dry gloves.) The wrist seals actually keep my wrists dry, which the latex never did. The neck seal does not give me a hangman's rash even after a solid week of multiple dive days in salt water.

Some people report they are easier to tear. May be the case, but with the ease of re-use and longer potential lifespan, I'd be more apt to always have a spare set around in the save a dive kit anyway.

I have the silicone wrist seals for about seven months and I like them more than the latex. It is extremely comfortable, no leakage issue but I also did not have a leakage issue with the latex seal.

The only difference between the silicone and the latex is the silicone is much more comfortable. The downside is, unlike the latex seals, the silicone attracts any and all dirt and sand. Regardless of what surface (picnic table, back of my car, changing mat, etc) I place the seals on, they will attract dirt and/or sand. I do prefer the silicone seals over the latex seals, and will go with a silicone neck seal once my latex neck seals needs replacement.

I have heard stories about the silicone seals tearing or ripping easily but have not experienced it, and I'm not gentle with my seals...even though I know I should be. :blush:

I thought I would add my 2 cents in here. I've had my silicone neck zip seal for about a year and have around 80 dives on it and it has been rock solid for me thus far. No maintenance required, which is nice, stretchy and comfortable and, best of all, no more neck rash! I used to get wicked neck rash in a latex neck zip seal and since moving to the silicone zip seal I have had no issues, even on a 3 day Channel Islands liveaboard in Southern California.

Does anyone have any reports/input on the silicone wrist zip seals? These may be my next purchase as my latex wrists are getting a bit old.

Am I the only one who thinks that the silicone neck seal is way too long? It's much longer than the latex seal that DUI sells, and as somebody who doesn't have a long neck, it's somewhat frustrating. I will probably purchase a latex neck seal when my silicon seal gives up the ghost. The wrist seals, however, are fantastic. I spray a little soapy water onto my wrists before putting my hand through and they slide on like butter. They're also stretchier than the latex, I've found. The downside is that they attract any and all particulate when one is topside.

My set of DUI zip seals just came in today, along with the hood and boots. The best prices I have found was from the site below, and free shipping. I will be putting my silicone seals to use on Monday, for the first time, so I don't have reviews as of yet.

Diver Dan's: Dry Suits - Product Catalog

Back
Top Bottom