Traveling with DSLR Ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJScubaDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 2 Ikelite DSLR ports that I'm traveling with for the first time. These things are massive. They are too big to take on the plane with the rest of the camera gear so they have to go in checked baggage. They have a nice neoprene cap on the lens side, but the port side is left exposed. I'd rather not travel with them in the original box. Has anyone found a good way to travel with these?

I have 2 Ikelite DSLR ports that I'm traveling with for the first time. These things are massive. They are too big to take on the plane with the rest of the camera gear so they have to go in checked baggage. They have a nice neoprene cap on the lens side, but the port side is left exposed. I'd rather not travel with them in the original box. Has anyone found a good way to travel with these?

Try a ikelite flat port neoprene cover on the back.

My $1,000 Subal dome port gets a neoprene cover and is then ensconced among a dozen pairs of Brooks Brothers* boxers. Wetsuits round out the cushioning, and then I entrust it to checked luggage. So far so good.

*the dome would probably be just as content with BVDs. :)

I have put the camera in the housing with the port on and the neoprene cover on it, and carried all that on as a "camera or personal item"

Yeah, I used to have that trouble.

Then I got one of these...

and stuck it in one of these.

Do I miss my big dome port? I guess if I did a lot of over/under shots, I might. But I have Photoshop for that... :)

i had an Ikelite 8.25" and got pelican case for it. It's all in there: port, housing, strobes, arms, batteries. yes you will have to check an extra bag (for some this may be a reason to think about it again). so far i had no problems with this setup and i still have all the equipment ;-)

MINI_20130524_090624.jpg

now i just switched to an Aquatica housing with a 9" dome - still fits in the pelican 1600 case. it has two layers of rubber foam and therefore you can use different spots to stow stuff.

thom

Attachments

• 20130524_090624.jpg
    20130524_090624.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 162
For traveling your best option would be to sell both of your ports. Then buy Precision 5" Modular Dome for the ikelite modular port system and a Modular Port Body then all you need is modular port bodies or extensions to fit any lens. The total weight and space taken up will be much less. Yes I know the modular port system cost more but it is more flexible and easier to travel with.

For 8 inch port I use a Tupperware plastic thing that is used to transport or store cakes. I surround the port with tshirts or (clean) underwear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom