Need the Best bang for buck dive computer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto Zoop is an excellent entry-level dive computer. Shop around online and there are some very real bargains to be had. I've seen them on offer circa $150.

DSS bungee mount is available for that also.

Multi-mix computers are essentially a waste of time. If/when you ever get to using deco gasses, you're going to want a computer with a much more robust algorithm than recreational offerings. By the time that happens (looking forwards hundreds of hours underwater and many courses later...) newer generations of dive computer and soft/firmware are likely to have arisen.

When I first started out I bought two used zeagle intuition from the marketplace of Scubaboard. They are great computers (nitrox capable) and I only paid like 300 USD for both of them.

After 3 years or so I bought a Mares nemo wide (with the USB download cable and all) which I love. Around the 300 USD range checkout scuba.com the have the mares nemo wide for something over 300 USD or get a used one for around 250 USD.

I agree with DevonDiver on this one. My girlfriend and I have been using Suunto Zoops since OW certification and are happy with them so far. One thing though: with mine it is a pain to upload dive data to PC (frequent disconnects), with my gf's it doesn't work at all. Maybe that is caused by the cable though (has to be bought separately, I got it from ebay). And the Suunto DM4 software is a pain.

Another vote for the Zoop. Its really all you need...well, that and an SPG and Split Fins and a big giant knife and a BPW and some fish tacos and cooler full of Dos Equis and new Ford F250 King Ranch to haul your gear.

The Dg03 with bungee mount is a pretty sweet deal. My gf has the oceanic version of that computer and it's done fine. She's got about 200 dives with it. It's not the most user-friendly computer, but far from difficult.

If you get the Dg03, definitely get the bungee mount!

All you'll need then is a brass & glass SPG with HP hose (24-26" hose, depending on how tall you are), a bolt snap to keep the spg from dangling, and a compass.

I would not get a console, ever, but that is my preference.

Beaver diver,
It's same as this right?
Buy Sub Gear XP10 Wrist Dive Computer from Leisure Pro

If it can be used for a variety of OW , night dives, or any nitrox I might get into later on.... it does fit my budget. Thanks
Hi Kris,

Yes, It is the exact same dive computer, the XP-10.

How do you like your special SCUBAboard deal?

It is perfect for OW, night and nitrox mixes between 21% - 50% in 1% increments.

It has a back light for night dives. Both an audible & visual alarm ( the audible alarm can be turned off ).
I like the Safety stop countdown feature.

The XP-10 is easy to use. We use it for our rentals.

We are proud to be a SCUBAboard Business Sponsor!

Beaver diver, thanks i saw ur pm seems like good deal.

Devon,
Couldn't find suunto zoop under $200 but will be looking. Thx though.

Thanks all for inputs. I'm so new that I'm like deer in headlights lol. So have to strictly go by recommendations in this thread.

Basically need a cheap yet fail proof wrist dive computer that's very user friendly.

Not sure if uploading stats into pc is important.

So currently debating between suuntozoop, xp10, mares puck and Hollis DG03 ($249) with DSS bungee mount ($19) .

Btw why do u need a bungee mount for a wrist dc?
Thanks

As a new diver myself who recently had this same debate I would recommend the Mares Puck. I tried the Zoop and it's also a good PDC but for the price (174 from Leisure Pro) The Mares is a steal. It's kind of tricky to learn to use at first with the whole 1 button thing but after you get used to it it's a pretty decent pdc for an incredible price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom