Poseidon MK VI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I like the concept of this unit and have been looking to jump into CCR for a while now. I like that the unit is soon to be upgradable to true tek style diving .

The dilemma is that I found a shop selling a demo unit for $4500. Should I sell my underperforming stocks and buy this thing or wait until I can truely afford one? $4500 is a lot of money that I don't have liquid right now, but if I'm never going to find this price again, I might as well jump on it now right?

So I like the concept of this unit and have been looking to jump into CCR for a while now. I like that the unit is soon to be upgradable to true tek style diving .

The dilemma is that I found a shop selling a demo unit for $4500. Should I sell my underperforming stocks and buy this thing or wait until I can truely afford one? $4500 is a lot of money that I don't have liquid right now, but if I'm never going to find this price again, I might as well jump on it now right?
I have often sold assets that weren't doing me any good for something that I can use or enjoy. You will always be able to sell if for something down the road.
I would not recommend the MKVI if you are looking for a tech rebreather. Regardless of the hype the MKVI is not a tech RB. It is an OK starter unit though

Other than not having any manual input for O2 injection, what would be the issue with using this unit at say 220fsw when the upgrades come available? Obviously I would carry OC for bailout.

Other than not having any manual input for O2 injection, what would be the issue with using this unit at say 220fsw when the upgrades come available? Obviously I would carry OC for bailout.

I'm not saying it couldn't do it but it is just not best suited for the job. I can stack half a load of firewood in my wife's VW golf but I'd rather not.

The unit is a lightweight capable rebreather for its intention. If you are looking at serious tech diving your better off buying a real tech rebreather

There are still a lot of divers waiting for the right moment to buy a ccr, so if you purchase a rebreather as a stepping stone it is reasonable to re sell and move on. Any and all rebreather experience can appreciate, so sooner you make the leap the better. But the Mk VI is not a technical rebreather – although I have seen divers do amazing things with rebreathers that manufactures called “sport” this is not the case.

Now something to consider as my rebreather mentor told me that at the time he would service his Cis Lunar Mk V and after 3 or 4 factory services he could purchase an inspo ccr. So I passed on the Cis and purchased an inpso, meg, etc…

So if you choose to purchase a used Poseidon, make sure that the factory clock has be re-set with a “complete service”. This would be reasonably a few hundred dollars in service work and parts for a qualified technician. And be prepared ever two years to have a complete factory service on the unit.

I'm not saying it couldn't do it but it is just not best suited for the job. I can stack half a load of firewood in my wife's VW golf but I'd rather not.

The unit is a lightweight capable rebreather for its intention. If you are looking at serious tech diving your better off buying a real tech rebreather

The MKVI is an upgradeable eCCR. You can even purchase the unit with the "tech" upgrades day one, if you so choose but only after you've had the proper training. Anyway, Poseidon MKVI units have user-swappable battery/computer modules. The standard module comes with the ref-diver limits, while there are two other modules that will take the unit up to Trimix-Deco diving. So, purchasing the MKVI is a pretty good idea, because you don't have to sell or replace the unit when your skills improve and/or you looking to extend your eCCR dive experience.

The MKVI is an upgradeable eCCR. You can even purchase the unit with the "tech" upgrades day one, if you so choose but only after you've had the proper training. Anyway, Poseidon MKVI units have user-swappable battery/computer modules. The standard module comes with the ref-diver limits, while there are two other modules that will take the unit up to Trimix-Deco diving. So, purchasing the MKVI is a pretty good idea, because you don't have to sell or replace the unit when your skills improve and/or you looking to extend your eCCR dive experience.

Nor do you have to sell almost any other rebreather when your skills improve. I am aware of the battery upgrade concept as well as the so called "tech" version of the unit. It is just that the MKVI is just not physically strong or configurable as a rebreather that is designed for technical type dives.

first of all: yes it would have been a reasonable price for this unit.

it's a rather old discussion but still some arguments going on here. first things first: i did my training on an MK VI and yes: it got me hooked. the whole CCR stuff is not getting out of my head anymore. i even wrote an article about my CCR experience because i was so fascinated about it :)

I like that the unit is soon to be upgradable to true tek style diving .

having read the MV VI Manual 2.4 again: the Poseidon MK VI is a type R eCCR and therefore not fully able to perform full tec/trimix functionalities. as described in appendix 2 (p. 89) it is possible to do deco-diving with different dilluents but no less O2 than 16%. even with a Deco 48m Trimix battery it does NOT allow to go deeper than 48m/~150ft. the equipment is not made for this kind of diving. since Type T CCRs need to meet substantially different requirements such as the possibility of manual dilluent handling (which you don't learn in the CCR OW/AOW class), at least one backup-display and of course the proper rating >100m/330ft.

trying tec within the limits of the given specs sounds reasonably. the point i wanted to make (since a few people argued about it in this thread): the MK VI is NOT a tec/trimix rebreather. the specifics of the upgraded version (and how to upgrade older models) will only be released in a few months since sale for the new CCR will apparently start in November (according to Poseidon).

if anyone is asking why this answer is written in a rather direct way: pushing the limits in this type of diving is exactly what results in serious injuries and can lead to dramatic consequences. yes it is interesting down there, this is why i took the tec/trimix class. but this is also why you learn to know your limits. and the equipments limits are part of this set of limits - in my opinion.

if you bought the new version which will be available sometime later this year then yes.

since this is not the case yet just a few questions on how to react in an emergency situation 20min into the dive on 220ft:
what gas would you bring?
how much gas would it be (since you don't want to carry 2 80cf's i guess)?
what mix have you been breathing during the dive?
at what depths do you stop and for how long?

i am aware that these questions can be asked in TEC/Trimix CCR diving at any point BUT: the difference between the current MK VI and a type T CCR is that a lot more failsafe-measures have to fail before it comes to this whereas a type R CCR is just not made for it.

thom

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom