Need Advice on Short Sleeved Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

templeton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a couple of full length suits for the normal Florida diving seasons (5mm and 3mm), but need something a little cooler for the more frequent tropical trips I seem to be taking. I'm not a big fan of shorties, as I like the protection of full length, nor am I really interested in a really thin full suit or skin - I'd really like something I could possibly use in the middle of summer a little closer to home if I so chose.

The thought of a 2mm or 3mm short sleeved suit does intrigue me. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to be an option that normal diving suit manufactures make. Of course I see some of the surfing companies make them, but the rumor is the neoprene in those suits is not compatible for activities at depth. Otherwise it seems 'custom' is another, albeit costly option, but this isn't something I want to spend a lot of money on for only a few uses per year.

So simple questions...Is there a short sleeve suit out there made for diving that I've missed? Has anyone dove in warmer waters with a surfing wetsuit, and if so how did it work? Is possible to tailor a long sleeve suit to shorten the sleeves?

Thanks in advance!

I had my long sleeves made into short sleeves on my 3mm and my 5mm. Also had zippers put on the ankles to aid in donning/doffing.

Back
Top Bottom